It is currently Wed 30 Sep 2026 6:38 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr 2012 6:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
I know 'mo chuid gruaige', 'mo chuid airgid', 'mo chuid fiacla', I think 'mo chuid ama'?

There may be a few more that I know, but can't think of off the top of my head. The one thing I definitely know is that I am not totally clear on the rule when to use it. I heard at some stage that it is to too with an uncountable thing, but we have a definite number of teeth so that cannot be accurate.

Is there such a rule or is it some kind of instinct? If it is the latter, I'm screwed because that instinct is extinct in me! :mrgreen:

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr 2012 6:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Saoirse wrote:
I know 'mo chuid gruaige', 'mo chuid airgid', 'mo chuid fiacla', I think 'mo chuid ama'?

There may be a few more that I know, but can't think of off the top of my head. The one thing I definitely know is that I am not totally clear on the rule when to use it. I heard at some stage that it is to too with an uncountable thing, but we have a definite number of teeth so that cannot be accurate.

Is there such a rule or is it some kind of instinct? If it is the latter, I'm screwed because that instinct is extinct in me! :mrgreen:


I think the general rule is that you use "cuid" when talking about your "share" of something that anyone or everyone also has or may have. So, using your examples, almost everyone has hair, teeth, time, and at least some money, and you're talking about that portion of all the hair, teeth, time, or money out there that actually belongs to you.

So you would also use it when talking about, say, your cattle as opposed to all the cattle in the village, or your tea as opposed to all the tea in the world, etc.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr 2012 6:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Redwolf wrote:
or money out there that actually belongs to you.

What if there is no money out there that actually belongs to me? I suppose I can then use 'do chuid airgid'!

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr 2012 8:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 11 Sep 2011 5:12 pm
Posts: 279
Location: Hamilton, NJ, USA
In my notes from the other side, I have the following:

"There's a simple trick I figured out to know if you need "cuid" or not. If you can say, in English, "I have a X" then in Irish you can say "mo X". "I have a car," for example, is fine, so "mo charr" is too. But you can't say "I have a clothes" or "I have a hair" (well you can but it doesn't mean the same thing as "I have hair") so you have to say "mo chuid éadaigh" and "mo chuid gruaige."

No idea as to the validity, and I can't remember who said it, but it made sense to me.

_________________
Táim ag foghlaim Gaelainn na Mumhan

Tá fáilte roim nach aon cheartú!
I am a learner. Any translations offered are practice and should not be used unless confirmed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr 2012 9:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
Aislingeach wrote:
In my notes from the other side, I have the following:

"There's a simple trick I figured out to know if you need "cuid" or not. If you can say, in English, "I have a X" then in Irish you can say "mo X". "I have a car," for example, is fine, so "mo charr" is too. But you can't say "I have a clothes" or "I have a hair" (well you can but it doesn't mean the same thing as "I have hair") so you have to say "mo chuid éadaigh" and "mo chuid gruaige."

No idea as to the validity, and I can't remember who said it, but it made sense to me.


That really just distinguishes owning one thing as opposed to owning more than one thing ('hair' is different, I suppose).

You wouldn't say mo chuid lámh for 'my hands' and it doesn't fit into the bracket of 'I have a X', obviously, because it's plural.

I agree with translating mo chuid as my share when relating to potentially differing amounts from one person to another. It's a bit like saying 'my alloted amount (of hair etc.)'. 'Hands' on the other hand don't tend to differ from one person to another, except in very exceptional circumstances.

[Even if you accept what i say above, I can tell you that I have been surprised before by something that appears to contradict the above - I think we came across something like 'mo chuid súl' before].


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr 2012 10:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 9:55 am
Posts: 2114
Location: 91 - France
I seem to remember being told that you can use 'cuid' when talking about prayers - cuid paidreacha (by Bríd)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr 2012 10:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 17 Sep 2011 11:52 pm
Posts: 460
franc 91 wrote:
I seem to remember being told that you can use 'cuid' when talking about prayers - cuid paidreacha (by Bríd)


definitely...

..mo chuid paidreacha a rá....

but there's nothing wrong with: ...mo phaidreacha a rá... either.

I don't know about rules... I suppose it's one of those things you heard often enough and you don't think about too much...

It is worth looking into and actually thinking about... just to see if there is a pattern...

_________________
Bí cinnte de go nglacfaidh triúr le gach aistriúchán a thabharfar.
Be sure to get three in agreement with a translation given.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr 2012 10:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 11 Sep 2011 5:12 pm
Posts: 279
Location: Hamilton, NJ, USA
Scooby wrote:
That really just distinguishes owning one thing as opposed to owning more than one thing ('hair' is different, I suppose).

You wouldn't say mo chuid lámh for 'my hands' and it doesn't fit into the bracket of 'I have a X', obviously, because it's plural.

I agree with translating mo chuid as my share when relating to potentially differing amounts from one person to another. It's a bit like saying 'my alloted amount (of hair etc.)'. 'Hands' on the other hand don't tend to differ from one person to another, except in very exceptional circumstances.

[Even if you accept what i say above, I can tell you that I have been surprised before by something that appears to contradict the above - I think we came across something like 'mo chuid súl' before].


Hence the disclaimer regarding its validity. I do like the term "potentially differing amounts" as a reference, however. I'll be filing that one away in my notes. :yes:

_________________
Táim ag foghlaim Gaelainn na Mumhan

Tá fáilte roim nach aon cheartú!
I am a learner. Any translations offered are practice and should not be used unless confirmed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr 2012 12:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
Braoin wrote:
franc 91 wrote:
I seem to remember being told that you can use 'cuid' when talking about prayers - cuid paidreacha (by Bríd)


definitely...

..mo chuid paidreacha a rá....

but there's nothing wrong with: ...mo phaidreacha a rá... either.

I don't know about rules... I suppose it's one of those things you heard often enough and you don't think about too much...

It is worth looking into and actually thinking about... just to see if there is a pattern...


Braoin, would you say that mo ghruaig is just as valid as mo chuid gruaige? I used to think so, but there are those who insist that leaving out cuid isn't natural at all, at all. (I wonder how DoireTrasna is getting on!)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr 2012 1:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 17 Sep 2011 11:52 pm
Posts: 460
Scooby wrote:
Braoin wrote:
franc 91 wrote:
I seem to remember being told that you can use 'cuid' when talking about prayers - cuid paidreacha (by Bríd)


definitely...

..mo chuid paidreacha a rá....

but there's nothing wrong with: ...mo phaidreacha a rá... either.

I don't know about rules... I suppose it's one of those things you heard often enough and you don't think about too much...

It is worth looking into and actually thinking about... just to see if there is a pattern...


Braoin, would you say that mo ghruaig is just as valid as mo chuid gruaige? I used to think so, but there are those who insist that leaving out cuid isn't natural at all, at all. (I wonder how DoireTrasna is getting on!)


Tá scoilt i mo ghruaig agam
or
Tá scoilt sa ngruaig agam

Tá an ghruaig ag titim amach orm
Tá mo ghruaig ag titim amach
Tá mo chuid gruaige ag titim amach
...although I would choose the third one (Tá mo chuid gruaige ag titim amach) I really think it is six of one and a half dozen of the other.

but

Tá mé a chailleadh mo chuid gruaige
...would be natural to me.

... begod it's a whole area to be looked into... always something to be learnt... To be honest I'm not sure now :)

_________________
Bí cinnte de go nglacfaidh triúr le gach aistriúchán a thabharfar.
Be sure to get three in agreement with a translation given.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1673 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group