It is currently Fri 12 Aug 2022 2:41 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jun 2022 4:57 pm 

When learning a language, sometimes it is enjoyable to take a break from grammar and rules and just enjoy the language. A good way to do this is to watch some programmes as Gaeilge. There is a diverse range of programmes available on the Irish language television station TG4. Most, if not all, programmes have English subtitles. Some TG4 programmes can give an insight into various aspects of Irish culture also.

Some programmes will have native speakers, others will have fluent, non-native speakers. Some participants in programmes will have contributions from various levels of learner. Some programmes on TG4 have a mixture of Irish and English if important contributors don't have the language.

You can access TG4 here. Bain taitneamh as! (Enjoy!)

https://www.tg4.ie/ga/

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jun 2022 8:10 pm 

Unfortunately, it is widely recognised that in learning a foreign language, SUBTITLES IN THE ORIGINAL LANGUAGE are needed - not translated subtitles. Saoirse, can you point me to any programmes in Munster Irish with subtitles in Irish?

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jun 2022 9:55 pm 

Apologies, I had intended to say that subtitles are often available in English and sometimes in Irish.

'Subtitles on TG4 Player

Content will now appear with optional subtitles on all TG4 Player platforms. To choose to switch off subtitles, press cc in the programme player control panel. The subtitles remain burnt in for some of the older content on the player.

If we have Irish language subtitles available, these can be selected as an option.'

This is an extract from here: https://www.tg4.ie/en/information/faq/s ... n%20option.