It is currently Thu 08 Oct 2026 2:16 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat 26 Jan 2013 1:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Redwolf wrote:
"Mo ghrá thú, Cronaím thú"

Perhaps:

Mo ghrá thú. Airím uaim thú. "I love you. I miss you"
Beidh tú i mo chroí go deo. "You'll be in my heart forever."

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 26 Jan 2013 1:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Breandán wrote:
Redwolf wrote:
"Mo ghrá thú, Cronaím thú"

Perhaps:

Mo ghrá thú. Airím uaim thú. "I love you. I miss you"
Beidh tú i mo chroí go deo. "You'll be in my heart forever."


Fixed the typo, but the real question is if "mo ghrá thú" is useable for a non-romantic/non-passionate type of love. I don't think I've ever seen it used in this context before.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan 2013 5:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3002
AnBraonach wrote:
Redwolf wrote:
I'm fond of "Beidh mo chroí istigh ionat go deo," too, but the OP should know that this literally means "my heart will be within YOU forever" rather than "I will carry you in MY heart forever."


Yeah, true, but this is why I like the second proposal:

Grá mo chroí go deo thú.

It captures two lines of the original - I love you, carry you in my heart forever etc. Less ink, more idiom.

You hear cronaigh in Ulster (spoken more like crothnaigh) but maybe not elsewhere...


Grá mo chroí go deo thú.
That would be my favourite too.


("Grá mo chroí thú" - is a common idiom in Conamara, it can be used romantically and non-romantically)

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan 2013 5:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Bríd Mhór wrote:
AnBraonach wrote:
Redwolf wrote:
I'm fond of "Beidh mo chroí istigh ionat go deo," too, but the OP should know that this literally means "my heart will be within YOU forever" rather than "I will carry you in MY heart forever."


Yeah, true, but this is why I like the second proposal:

Grá mo chroí go deo thú.

It captures two lines of the original - I love you, carry you in my heart forever etc. Less ink, more idiom.

You hear cronaigh in Ulster (spoken more like crothnaigh) but maybe not elsewhere...


Grá mo chroí go deo thú.
That would be my favourite too.


("Grá mo chroí thú" - is a common idiom in Conamara, it can be used romantically and non-romantically)


It is a very lovely and natural way to say it.

Tide, given that you want something a bit longer, to fit on both sides, would this work for you?:

One one side: Grá mo chroí go deo thú (Literally "you're my heart's love forever")

On the other side: Tá cumha orm i do dhiaidh: This is a slightly longer, also very idiomatic, way of saying "I miss you." It translates roughly to "I'm lonely/desolate without you."

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan 2013 9:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 8:09 pm
Posts: 943
Redwolf wrote:
Bríd Mhór wrote:
AnBraonach wrote:
Redwolf wrote:
I'm fond of "Beidh mo chroí istigh ionat go deo," too, but the OP should know that this literally means "my heart will be within YOU forever" rather than "I will carry you in MY heart forever."


Yeah, true, but this is why I like the second proposal:

Grá mo chroí go deo thú.

It captures two lines of the original - I love you, carry you in my heart forever etc. Less ink, more idiom.

You hear cronaigh in Ulster (spoken more like crothnaigh) but maybe not elsewhere...


Grá mo chroí go deo thú.
That would be my favourite too.


("Grá mo chroí thú" - is a common idiom in Conamara, it can be used romantically and non-romantically)


It is a very lovely and natural way to say it.

Tide, given that you want something a bit longer, to fit on both sides, would this work for you?:

One one side: Grá mo chroí go deo thú (Literally "you're my heart's love forever")

On the other side: Tá cumha orm i do dhiaidh: This is a slightly longer, also very idiomatic, way of saying "I miss you." It translates roughly to "I'm lonely/desolate without you."

Redwolf

I've always been partial to Tá cumha orm i do dhiaidh


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan 2013 9:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Redwolf wrote:
...

One one side: Grá mo chroí go deo thú (Literally "you're my heart's love forever")

On the other side: Tá cumha orm i do dhiaidh ... "I miss you." It translates roughly to "I'm lonely/desolate without you." ...

Just adding another confirmation that this is a very nice idea. :wave:

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 29 Jan 2013 10:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 17 Jan 2013 10:12 pm
Posts: 6
Redwolf wrote:
Bríd Mhór wrote:
AnBraonach wrote:
Redwolf wrote:
I'm fond of "Beidh mo chroí istigh ionat go deo," too, but the OP should know that this literally means "my heart will be within YOU forever" rather than "I will carry you in MY heart forever."


Yeah, true, but this is why I like the second proposal:

Grá mo chroí go deo thú.

It captures two lines of the original - I love you, carry you in my heart forever etc. Less ink, more idiom.

You hear cronaigh in Ulster (spoken more like crothnaigh) but maybe not elsewhere...


Grá mo chroí go deo thú.
That would be my favourite too.


("Grá mo chroí thú" - is a common idiom in Conamara, it can be used romantically and non-romantically)


It is a very lovely and natural way to say it.

Tide, given that you want something a bit longer, to fit on both sides, would this work for you?:

One one side: Grá mo chroí go deo thú (Literally "you're my heart's love forever")

On the other side: Tá cumha orm i do dhiaidh: This is a slightly longer, also very idiomatic, way of saying "I miss you." It translates roughly to "I'm lonely/desolate without you."

Redwolf

But Grá mo chroí go deo thú sounds very romantic, doesn't it?

The other phrase sounds really nice.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 29 Jan 2013 11:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
tide wrote:
But Grá mo chroí go deo thú sounds very romantic, doesn't it?

Not necessarily, according to Bríd, a native speaker. See her post above.

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 29 Jan 2013 11:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 22 Sep 2012 5:40 pm
Posts: 157
tide wrote:
But Grá mo chroí go deo thú sounds very romantic, doesn't it?


Try not to think of it in terms of the English translation. You won't find a better judgement of its appropriateness than here below:
Bríd Mhór wrote:
Grá mo chroí go deo thú.
That would be my favourite too.
("Grá mo chroí thú" - is a common idiom in Conamara, it can be used romantically and non-romantically)


tide wrote:
The other phrase sounds really nice.

Which one do you mean? It's probably ok too.

Crossed with Breandán

_________________
Ultach mé agus Gaeilg Uladh a labhraim go measardha maith!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 29 Jan 2013 5:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
AnBraonach wrote:
tide wrote:
But Grá mo chroí go deo thú sounds very romantic, doesn't it?


Try not to think of it in terms of the English translation. You won't find a better judgement of its appropriateness than here below:
Bríd Mhór wrote:
Grá mo chroí go deo thú.
That would be my favourite too.
("Grá mo chroí thú" - is a common idiom in Conamara, it can be used romantically and non-romantically)


tide wrote:
The other phrase sounds really nice.

Which one do you mean? It's probably ok too.

Crossed with Breandán


I think by "the other phrase," tide meant "tá cumha orm i do dhiaidh" for "I miss you."

I agree...if Bríd says it's fine for this usage, you're golden. If you like these, tide, I think you're good to go! Do others agree?

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 741 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group