It is currently Fri 09 Oct 2026 9:08 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu 24 Jan 2013 11:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
I'm not a native, so wait for more input on this but since tá mo chroí istigh ionat "my heart is inside you" means "I love you" idiomatically, reversing it seems like trying to say "you love me". Not quite the intention of the English.

The other suggestions are nice but I really like AnBraonach's Grá mo chroí go deo thú "You are the love of my heart for ever" for getting the gist and a close idiom of the original English. It feels like "there is/will be no one else in my heart but you forever".

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan 2013 12:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
One thing I think would be useful to get from the OP: Is this a romantic sort of love we're talking about, or is this a friend/brother/sister situation? Some of these suggestions would be less appropriate for the latter situation.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan 2013 7:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 17 Jan 2013 10:12 pm
Posts: 6
Redwolf wrote:
One thing I think would be useful to get from the OP: Is this a romantic sort of love we're talking about, or is this a friend/brother/sister situation? Some of these suggestions would be less appropriate for the latter situation.

Redwolf

That's what I wanted to say: it's not romantic love. My cousin died at age 17 and he was like my not existing brother to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan 2013 10:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
I'm sorry to hear about your young cousin.

Perhaps you may like something more simple: 'Beidh tú liom i gcónaí' - 'You will be with me always.' I know that it is not the original wording that you gave, but I think it matches the sentiment without becoming overly complicated. Feel free to dismiss my suggestion outright!

Edited as per Pennyrat's eagle-eyed instruction below!

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan 2013 12:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
Maybe something like the following would work:

(Beidh tú) de shíor im chroí

(Beidh tú) i mo chroí go síoraí



While the síor bit means eternal, I'm not so sure the first one is appropriate for the future i.e. does it have the sense of 'always' more than 'forever'? I have a feeling it can mean both.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan 2013 4:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 22 Sep 2012 5:40 pm
Posts: 157
Saoirse wrote:
'Beidh tú liom i gcónaí' - 'You will be with me always.'
A nice simple sentiment!

Scooby wrote:
(Beidh tú) de shíor im chroí
I like this one too. Or perhaps even: de shíor i mo chroí thú.

Sorry about your cousin, tide!

_________________
Ultach mé agus Gaeilg Uladh a labhraim go measardha maith!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan 2013 5:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 30 Aug 2011 1:50 am
Posts: 122
Just a slight typo, a Shaoirse..

gcónaí

_________________
I am only a beginner. Please get confirmation before using any of my suggestions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan 2013 6:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 17 Jan 2013 10:12 pm
Posts: 6
"My heart will be within you forever" doesn't really mean how I'd like it.

And tbh, I'd like a "longer" phrase, if possible, because I'd like to have two lines. In the first "I love you. I miss you." and in the second "I will carry you always in my heart.". The reason is that I want the tattoo on my "inner" biceps. I can show you a first try: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n6sp9z5tvlcfx2/tatoo.jpg


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan 2013 6:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
tide wrote:
"My heart will be within you forever" doesn't really mean how I'd like it.

And tbh, I'd like a "longer" phrase, if possible, because I'd like to have two lines. In the first "I love you. I miss you." and in the second "I will carry you always in my heart.". The reason is that I want the tattoo on my "inner" biceps. I can show you a first try: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n6sp9z5tvlcfx2/tatoo.jpg


Hmmm...in light of the fact that this isn't romantic love, I'm wondering if we can still use "mo ghrá thú"? That has a bit more passion attached to it than I would like for this application (granted it's used in songs in reference to Christ, but it still has that passionate connotation).

If we CAN get by with "mo ghrá thú," then I think Anbhraonach's "Mo ghrá thú, Cronaím thú" can stand for "I love you, I miss you." But wait for more people to weigh in on that.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan 2013 7:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
pennyrat wrote:
Just a slight typo, a Shaoirse..

gcónaí
Ceartaithe anois! :GRMA:

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 879 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group