WeeFalorieMan wrote:
An Cionnfhaolach wrote:
There's a very interesting account in "Leabhar Sheáin Í Chonaill: Seanchas agus Sgéalta Ó Íbh Ráthach", collected by Seamus Ó Duilearga …
I've got the English version of that book and I think it's brilliant, but I'v never been able to find the original Irish version anywhere. Do you happen to know where I can find it?
No unfortunately, but its not from the want of trying. I had it because it is in the university library. I've been searching around for it but to no real success. It was published in phonetic Irish, in order to give the reader a taste of the dialectal pronunciation, for instance:
eighre = oidhre
oíhe = oíche/ oidhche
It is very difficult to find online, the searches I did came to no avail. I can find
Leabhair Stiofáin Uí Ealaoire (An Siopa leabhair) from Clare,
Leabhair Mhaidhc Dháith (
http://www.ansagart.ie) from An Rinn and
Seanchas ó Chairbhre (An Siopa leabhair) but I am afraid to buy modern copies of it in case they have been altered or edited in some way and if they were I wouldn't have no real meas on them. I know Leabhair Mhaidhc Dháith has been standardised but it still retains some of the Déise phonetics and vocabulary. I was going to buy
Seanchas Amhlaoibh í Luínse, from litríocht.ie as its on offer at the moment €20 or (An Siopa leabhair) for €16. They published the first half of the collection in 1971 and this is the second and final part of the collection of stories taken from the Muskerry storyteller.
Oh ya, Londubh, Acadamh Ríoga Éireann have their own version of
Cínnlae Amhlaoibh the versions are €30 a pop or you can get the box set for €100 and something. I am not sure if they have been standardised or not though.
Lughaidh wrote:
I don't know any place in Ulster where "thá" is the most common form. It does exist in Gaoth Dobhair, Cloich Cheannaola, Ros Goill... but it's minoritary in my opinion.
I'm not sure it's a very old thing either (I don't think it's attested in Old, Middle or even Classical Irish). It might be a local development that happened in several places without influencing each other...
I thought I mentioned that, I must have deleted when doing the editing. I think also it is far more likely to be a localised phenomenon, rather than it developing in a core area and then dispersing. But a phenomenon that is widely dispersed among the Gaelic languages none the less.
This is similar to the Agricultural argument in archaeology:
Farming was originally thought, by archaeologist, to have been developed in the Fertile crescent c.12,000- 10,000 B.C and then spread across the globe from there. Many archaeologist now believe that agriculture developed in different areas at different times separately. Some archaeologist still uphold the original view. It is probable that agriculture spread across western Europe from the Fertile Crescent; finally reaching Ireland c.4,000 B.C, this is fairly undisputed but the belief that agriculture spread to China and South America etc... from the Fertile Crescent is however.
_________________
Is Fearr súil romhainn ná ḋá ṡúil inár ndiaiḋ
(Amhlaoibh Ó Súilleabháin)
Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice
I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)