Benjamin wrote:
The number of native speakers that would say micreathonn would be zero
Perhaps. My motto is "Never say never." Even if every native speaker I knew didn't use it, I wouldn't assume that that meant nobody uses it.
There are native speakers who prefer the made-up terms rather than using English terms. I am not sure but I think that is more the case in Munster? I haven't met them personally but I know they do exist ...
Lughaidh wrote:
Quote:
maidhcreabhuéimh
nó maidhcreabhaeimh

Nice work, a Lughaidh.

I was struggling with the "way" part of "wave".

Saoirse wrote:
I didn't even realise that the 'micrea' was one syllable
It's two.
Bríd Mhór wrote:
I've never anybody say anything other than "microwave".
I can't imagine anybody saying -maidhcreabhuéimh oibhin
A Bhríd, if you say "microwave" as in the English pronunciation, then it would be spelt something like Lughaidh's "maidhcreabhaeimh" in Irish spelling, especially if you would normally make any grammatical changes to it like leniting the first letter after
mo, etc. That's how a borrowed word becomes a proper part of a language, by being treated in the same way as the native vocabulary.
Bríd Mhór wrote:
The Welsh call it - Popty Ping.
Popty = oven
The Japanese call the machine a 電子レンジ DENSHI RENJI "an electronic range", but the verb is チーンするCHEEN SURU, チーン CHEEN being the characteristic "ting" sound when the cycle is finished - not so different from the Welsh idea.
Is there a verb like English "nuke" or "zap" in Irish to the describe "cooking" in the damn things?