It is currently Tue 06 Oct 2026 9:44 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct 2012 1:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Breandán wrote:
Seaghan wrote:
Bhí mé ag éisteacht le na gasúir indiu, agus dubhairt siad

Céard 'tá le h-aghaidh an dinnéar ?

"Le h-aghaidh an dinnéar"? sin nó "le h-aghaidh an dinnéir"?
I would have thought 'dinnéir' tar éis 'le haghaidh'. What's the story with the hyphen?

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct 2012 2:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 12:09 pm
Posts: 118
Saoirse wrote:
Breandán wrote:
Seaghan wrote:
Bhí mé ag éisteacht le na gasúir indiu, agus dubhairt siad

Céard 'tá le h-aghaidh an dinnéar ?

"Le h-aghaidh an dinnéar"? sin nó "le h-aghaidh an dinnéir"?
I would have thought 'dinnéir' tar éis 'le haghaidh'. What's the story with the hyphen?


Me too, but who am I to argue with the kids, it's their dinner, they should know !

As for the hyphen, it will be noted that there are few, if any real Irish words which begin with a 'h', and as I'm not in the least constrained by the so-called caighdeán, I like to insert a hyphen between the preposition and the vowel, just as was done before they started messing with the language.

It's probably a minority view, but that doesn't bother me !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct 2012 2:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
So it is only the caighdeán that has no hyphen?

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct 2012 2:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
To me that's not a problem. Only a handful of Irish words begin with a "real" h, and they are all loanwords (that are easy to recognize). All others are Irish words that have got a prefixed h because of the preceding word.
If you knew a bit of Irish grammar, you know that in "le haghaidh" the second word is "aghaidh" with a prefixed h because of "le".

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct 2012 2:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
Lughaidh wrote:
To me that's not a problem. Only a handful of Irish words begin with a "real" h, and they are all loanwords (that are easy to recognize). All others are Irish words that have got a prefixed h because of the preceding word.
If you knew a bit of Irish grammar, you know that in "le haghaidh" the second word is "aghaidh" with a prefixed h because of "le".


This is exactly why the hyphen was dispensed with in the caighdeán. If the h is obviously prefixed then there is no need to include a hyphen to show that it is prefixed.

Prefixed t and prefixed n are quite different. But yeah, no one can force anyone to use the caighdeán - try as they might! BTW, I too think it's a great shame (as mentioned by others previously) to have books that are written in dialectal (i.e. natural) Irish messed around with and 'standardised'.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct 2012 5:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
Quote:
This is exactly why the hyphen was dispensed with in the caighdeán. If the h is obviously prefixed then there is no need to include a hyphen to show that it is prefixed.


yes. I don't like the CO and I change its rules anytime I need it to write in my dialect, but I use the prefixed h without the hyphen because I think it's not a problem...

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct 2012 6:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Lughaidh wrote:
I don't like the CO
8O 8O 8O 8O
An bhfuil tú i ndáirire? Ní chreidim é sin!

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct 2012 6:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 11 Sep 2011 5:12 pm
Posts: 279
Location: Hamilton, NJ, USA
Seaghan wrote:
It's probably a minority view, but that doesn't bother me !

Then I suppose I am in the minority. :D I, too, prefer “le h-aghaidh” to “le haghaidh.” I also prefer “i nAlban” to “in Alban,” etc. In my case, it is simply an aesthetics thing. And the more un-butchered Irish literature I read, the more I will incorporate such things into my Irish.

_________________
Táim ag foghlaim Gaelainn na Mumhan

Tá fáilte roim nach aon cheartú!
I am a learner. Any translations offered are practice and should not be used unless confirmed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct 2012 6:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 11 Sep 2011 5:12 pm
Posts: 279
Location: Hamilton, NJ, USA
Saoirse wrote:
Lughaidh wrote:
I don't like the CO
8O 8O 8O 8O
An bhfuil tú i ndáirire? Ní chreidim é sin!

:rofl:

_________________
Táim ag foghlaim Gaelainn na Mumhan

Tá fáilte roim nach aon cheartú!
I am a learner. Any translations offered are practice and should not be used unless confirmed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct 2012 8:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
Aislingeach wrote:
...the more un-butchered Irish literature I read, the more I will incorporate such things into my Irish.


un-butchered or unbutchered?

Words that need a hyphen to-day may not need one tomorrow. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Jamie and 1358 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group