It is currently Fri 19 Apr 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed 10 Feb 2021 12:14 am 

I'm writing a story set in 19th century Gairloch, but with fictional places amongst the real ones. I want to call one mountain 'Beinn Iuthairn' and the woman who lives at the top 'Gerdie na h' Iuthairn', and the other mountain 'Beinn na Cathrach'. I'd appreciate if a native speaker could please look them over - I want to make sure the names aren't complete nonsense! And also that they're spelt correctly :)

Many thanks!

PostPosted: Sat 08 Jan 2022 10:50 pm 

I notice that no one has responded to your request. There are only rarely native speakers on the Gaelic part of the forum these days, but I can offer some info.

I assume that the hill name which you've created is based on the word iutharn, which is an archaic or dialectical form of the word for "hell" (normally written as ifrinn or ifrionn). It doesn't appear to be in the more modern dictionaries, but is found in Dwelly's and MacBain's dictionaries. Dwelly's gives the genitive form as iutharna, with iuthairn as perhaps a secondary genitive form (it's hard to tell from the way the entry is set up). So, if what you wanted was "Hell Hill/Mountain" or "Hill/Mountain of Hell", then Beinn na h-Iutharna should work.

For the other hill, Beinn na cathrach would work, if you mean "Chair Hill/Mountain".

As for Gerdie, are you meaning to say "Gerdie from Hell" or "Gerdie from Hell Hill" (or perhaps something else)?