It is currently Mon 16 Sep 2024 6:51 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu 21 Dec 2023 8:43 pm 

A follow-up to a previous one just if it interests anyone.
Beag is not pronounced beog
Éa is not really ia.
Tigh is genitive "an tighe," but "tigh mhór" lenited. Pronunciations of tigh vary from te' to tigh to tig, but istigh is pronounced istig at least in my specific dialect. The plural is something like teitheanna.
Tigh chinn tuighe not ceanntuighe.
Seómbra not seómra, and it is not feminine as it is in Kerry.
Unfortunately, I have never heard "'na theannta san."
Chómh maith is the overwhelmingly preferred version of "also" while leis still exists.
Cois and cluais not cos and cluas are nominative.
"Mh" and "bh" are not always pronounced v. Broad is quite closer to a "w" sound, i.e. abhaile is not availe.
There are a lot of "ai" sounds with which aoinne and muinnteardha, e.g. are pronounced.
Some of this may be very regional and vary inside of the Déise.
The r in raibh and fearaibh is slender.

(Regarding my username, I don't think this is a Déise thing. I think the only reason that this is what I learned for it is because whoever I picked it up from must have never heard it before themselves and just guessed from "ceanntuighe." It is pronounced ceanntuiġeadóireaċt, so not sure why I spelt it that way in my username. Tuigheadóireacht is the correct word. Again the only reason that is my username is because everything I tried was taken so i thought of the rarest word).

Last edited by Ceanntuigheoireacht6 on Sun 24 Dec 2023 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu 21 Dec 2023 9:37 pm 

Ceanntuigheoireacht6 wrote:
A follow-up to a previous one just if it interests anyone.
Beag is not pronounced beog
Éa is not really ia.
Tigh is genitive "an tighe," but "tigh mhór" lenited. Pronunciations of tigh vary from te' to tigh to tig, but istigh is pronounced istig at least in my specific dialect. The plural is something like teitheanna.
Tigh chinn tuighe not ceanntuighe.
Seómbra not seómra, and it is not feminine as it is in Kerry.
Unfortunately, I have never heard "'na theannta san."
Chómh maith is the overwhelmingly preferred version of "also" while leis still exists.
Cois and cluais not cos and cluas are nominative.
"Mh" and "bh" are not always pronounced v. Broad is quite closer to a "w" sound, i.e. abhaile is not availe.
There are a lot of "ai" sounds with which aoinne and muinnteardha, e.g. are pronounced.
Some of this may be very regional and vary inside of the Déise.

(Regarding my username, I don't think this is a Déise thing. I think the only reason that this is what I learned for it is because whoever I picked it up from must have never heard it before themselves and just guessed from "ceanntuighe." It is pronounced ceanntuiġeadóireaċt, so not sure why I spelt it that way in my username. Tuigheadóireacht is the correct word. Again the only reason that is my username is because everything I tried was taken so i thought of the rarest word).

You mean "beag" rhymes with "feadh"?

PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec 2023 12:42 am 

Yes.

Additionally b, m, f and g are eclipsed not lenited after 'sa. The rest are lenited.
Sa macha
Sa mbaile
Sa bhfeirm
Sa ngleann

Also it is feidhleacán not peidhleacán; the latter must be WM only.

PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec 2023 2:41 am 

Thank you. Interesting.
Do you know anything about Risteard De Hindeberg (Richard Henebry)? He apparently was just as convinced that Waterford Irish was the "correct Irish" as Peadar Ua Laoghaire was that Cork Irish was the "correct Irish".

In my introduction to Mo Scéal Féin I have this:
Quote:
In a letter to Risteárd Pléimeann dated October 12th 1917, Ua Laoghaire added this:
As regards “Waterford Irish” I did not condemn it. On the contrary. I have always admired it. I condemned “compulsory rubbish” and compulsory vileness. Waterford Irish is not rubbish, but Dr. Sheehan’s Irish is rubbish.
I don’t intend to answer that attack. In fact it is not my habit to strike a second blow. My principle is buail an gadhar agus eirig [sic] as = “strike the dog and have done with the matter”. [Underlining as given in the original manuscript.]
A subsequent letter to Pléimeann dated October 22nd 1917 continues:
That is a nice short sweet word of yours in the Leader, and it is perfectly true. I have always liked Waterford Irish. It has a ringing nasal music which I admire. But I hate the invented rubbish. [Underlining as given in the original manuscript.]

PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec 2023 7:05 pm 

Interesting. No, I did not know.

PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec 2023 10:03 pm 

Ceanntuíodóireacht makes much more sense... as you can't go from a uí into an ó in Irish directly, or it would be awkward.

PostPosted: Mon 25 Dec 2023 10:29 pm 

Madán, not amadán is another.

PostPosted: Mon 25 Dec 2023 11:25 pm 

Ceanntuigheoireacht6 wrote:
Madán, not amadán is another.

Interesting. Do you say mithe or imithe?

PostPosted: Tue 26 Dec 2023 1:16 pm 

After a vowel, mithe. After a consonant, imithe. But madán is always, to the extent of it lenites as mhadán.

PostPosted: Thu 28 Dec 2023 2:30 pm 

Creideáil, not creideamh, also.