It is currently Sat 27 Jul 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri 01 Dec 2023 4:49 pm 

Does anybody know what " mb'fhearrde " means? I saw in a song long time ago, in a translated sentence, but I'm not sure what
word it was translated into. I looked it up in Teanglann, but it doesn't show up. Maybe it's a grammatical variant of another word or something?

PostPosted: Fri 01 Dec 2023 5:36 pm 

Pearl wrote:
Does anybody know what " mb'fhearrde " means? I saw in a song long time ago, in a translated sentence, but I'm not sure what
word it was translated into. I looked it up in Teanglann, but it doesn't show up. Maybe it's a grammatical variant of another word or something?

"would be all the better for it" mba+fearr+de

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec 2023 4:32 pm 

Can anyone give a different translation of "I'm starting to realize"?: The one I was originally given "Ritheann sé liom anois."

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec 2023 5:41 pm 

Tá sé ag tosnú a rith liom? But that sounds awkward to me. Tuigim anois? (I understand now?)

The original one seems like the correct one, because Irish does not have a single word for realise other than "tuigsint" (understand), and then the first one clarifies the thought better I think but maybe there are other ideas.

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec 2023 6:10 pm 

Hmm, then maybe I will use the original one. Can you give me individual definitions of the words because I might've understood them the wrong way?

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec 2023 6:13 pm 

I’m starting to realise - Tá tuiscint ag teacht chugam (tuiscint is the ‘standard’ form of tuigsint). You don’t say what’s wrong with the original suggestion.

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec 2023 6:52 pm 

I never meant that something was wrong with the original, I just wanted to see if there were different translations and see how they could
compare to the original. I just wanted to have some options to choose from. :)

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec 2023 8:17 pm 

Pearl, well "ritheann sé liom anois" literally means "runs it with_me now" (with me being one word in Irish). Errigal has a good suggestion also.
Their translation is literally "understanding is coming to me" or word-for-word "is understand at come to_me."

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec 2023 8:24 pm 

So, I did read it right, I thought the first one sounded a little strange. so I wanted to check for other translations for more options. I am okay with using the translations of "understand" because I know it is hard to translate word-for-word and I am okay if translations aren't exactly like the English sentence as long as the meaning/message is still the same and/or clear, you know?

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec 2023 9:19 pm 

Yes ok. Just keep in mind, Irish is a lot different than english with some expressions. the original is really not at all unclear within irish, except when you translate it. the ones with "understand" are good tho.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next