It is currently Fri 27 Jan 2023 11:34 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan 2023 10:13 am 

Hi all, inspired by the philosophies of nihilism and existentialism and having those philosophies feature so promimently in the movie Everything Everywhere All At Once, I've finally decided to get my first tattoo as the phrase "Nothing matters" and for this tattoo to have an added extra impact, I've decided to get it written in ogham.

I have tried doing some of my own research but there is still a lot I'm not sure of.
1) Seeing as the ancient Irish that ogham was written is lost to time, does it really make a difference which version of Irish I have the phrase translated to, i.e., old Irish vs. modern Irish?
2) I understand that ogham was really only made for names and also lacks spaces and punctuation but I wonder would it really be so much of a problem for what is (hopefully) such a short phrase.
3) Is it possible that there's a phrase or saying in Irish that actually has the same underlying idea of "nothing matters" that could be used rather than the literal translation?
4) Assuming all the other questions pass then what would be the most appropriate translation to use?

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jan 2023 5:19 am 

Maybe

"Is cuma faoi gach rud" after the phrase "Is cuma faoi gach rud EILE" which means "Nothing ELSE matters".

In my opinion, you can use Ogham to write anything you want.

You can put spaces between the words.

This page transliterates what you want to write: https://ogham.co/

I put the words in and if you can access this link, you can see it.

https://ogham.co/?q=Is%20cuma%20faoi%20gach%20rud

Don't forget the initial > and final < at the beginning and end of the phrase.

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan 2023 8:53 am 

tiomluasocein wrote:
In my opinion, you can use Ogham to write anything you want.

I have considered just straight up writing "nothing matters" directly in Ogham, especially given that I'm lucky that the phrase doesn't have any of the letters that straight up don't exist in Ogham (such as 'j' or 'z'). I guess my hesitation would simply be because since Ogham is an alphabet that was used exclusively for Irish that the "letters" in that alphabet are almost exclusively seen to have the pronunciation found in the Irish language. Unfortunately my Irish is not good enough to know all the phonetics but I'd imagine the result of pronouncing "nothing matters" as if it were Irish would sound radically different than the English pronunciation.

However, I also recognise that we can only speculate how ancient Irish would have sounded and that the roman alphabet is a strong example of how all sorts of languages can be adapted to an alphabet so in the end this is just me being a massive pedant :LOL:

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan 2023 7:57 am 

tiomluasocein wrote:
Maybe

"Is cuma faoi gach rud" after the phrase "Is cuma faoi gach rud EILE" which means "Nothing ELSE matters".

Faoi is wrong here (in both phrases), I’d think.
It is superfluous.

Is cuma gach rud (dom). = Everything is equal (to me). / Nothing matters (to me).

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan 2023 1:42 pm 

Labhrás wrote:
tiomluasocein wrote:
Maybe

Faoi is wrong here (in both phrases), I’d think.
It is superfluous.

Is cuma gach rud (dom). = Everything is equal (to me). / Nothing matters (to me).

Very good. That makes sense. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2023 11:30 am 

Hi joecash,
If you need any more help with this, send me a private message.
I think the last thing Labhrás posted is a very good translation.
Go to the Ogham transliteration page I posted earlier and input the words there
or click on the following link:

https://ogham.co/?q=Is%20cuma%20gach%20rud

Cheers,
Tim

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]