It is currently Thu 01 Dec 2022 1:25 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: PUL's books
PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct 2022 5:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 17 Oct 2022 4:51 pm
Posts: 15
Hi,

I am interested in trying to work through Peadar Ua Laoghaire's books over the coming months (realistically, years). I have read bits of Séadna and am working through it in a reading group and I am also reading Mo Sgéal Féin on my own. Would anyone please be able to give me a brief overview of about a sentence of each of these?

An Craos-Deamhan, Eisirt, An Cleasaidhe, Lughaidh Mac Con and Críost Mac Dé.

Go raibh maith agaibh
:good:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PUL's books
PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct 2022 4:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 27 May 2021 3:22 am
Posts: 490
I think you can find those books yourself. It's a lot to ask to ask someone to dig out so many books and send you a precis and a sentence. You can find things you need on the Cork Irish website.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PUL's books
PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct 2022 7:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 17 Oct 2022 4:51 pm
Posts: 15
djwebb2021 wrote:
I think you can find those books yourself. It's a lot to ask to ask someone to dig out so many books and send you a precis and a sentence. You can find things you need on the Cork Irish website.


No, not at all at all. Just if whoever happens to see this knows off the top of their head what, even vaguely, the plots of any of these books concern. For example 'Séadna is about a man who makes a deal with the devil', 'Mo Sgéal Féin is an auto-biography, tells the story of Peadar Ua Laoghaire's life', 'Sliabh na mBan bhFionn is about magical women who live in a mountain and how the locals deal with them' srl.

I'd like to know what you, or anyone else, think of these books. Would ye recommend them? I'm enjoying Séadna a lot, I have high hopes for the other books.

Le gach dea-ghuí
Baeris


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PUL's books
PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct 2022 9:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 27 May 2021 3:22 am
Posts: 490
You can search Cork Irish by entering this into Google:
site:corkirish.wordpress.com "search term"

E.g.
site:corkirish.wordpress.com "Eisirt"

Críost Mac Dé is a good one. I have transcribed the first volume of this three-volume work - a life of Christ in Irish, PUL's final work as he was dying. He died before completing it, and so he got about half-way through the Gospel narrative. I can send you the transcription I have made of Vol 1. You can email me at foghlamthoir@gmail.com If there were demand for it, and if An Lon Dubh, who owns the site, agreed to it, I could be prevailed upon to transcribe and provide vocabulary notes for Volumes 2 and 3.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PUL's books
PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2022 6:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 17 Oct 2022 4:51 pm
Posts: 15
(we've had little electricity where I am because of a lightning storm so my replies will probably be late,
táimíd in easpa leictreachais mar a bhfuilim anois toisc na stoirme thintrí, is dócha go mbeidh mo chuid teachtaireachtaí déanach)

That's good, thanks. I'll email you shortly so.

I have a copy of Niamh I look forward to reading, maybe I'll try Críost Mac Dé after. All the better if I can find a physical copy, I'll be having a look around Dublin soon but it's rare I got a good price on old Irish books in shops there.

Go raibh maith agaibh,
Le gach dea-ghuí


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PUL's books
PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2022 8:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 27 May 2021 3:22 am
Posts: 490
baeris wrote:
(we've had little electricity where I am because of a lightning storm so my replies will probably be late,
táimíd in easpa leictreachais mar a bhfuilim anois toisc na stoirme thintrí, is dócha go mbeidh mo chuid teachtaireachtaí déanach)

That's good, thanks. I'll email you shortly so.

I have a copy of Niamh I look forward to reading, maybe I'll try Críost Mac Dé after. All the better if I can find a physical copy, I'll be having a look around Dublin soon but it's rare I got a good price on old Irish books in shops there.

Go raibh maith agaibh,
Le gach dea-ghuí

Some good copies are on abebooks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PUL's books
PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct 2022 12:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 1212
baeris wrote:
Hi,

I am interested in trying to work through Peadar Ua Laoghaire's books over the coming months (realistically, years). I have read bits of Séadna and am working through it in a reading group and I am also reading Mo Sgéal Féin on my own. Would anyone please be able to give me a brief overview of about a sentence of each of these?

An Craos-Deamhan, Eisirt, An Cleasaidhe, Lughaidh Mac Con and Críost Mac Dé.

Go raibh maith agaibh
:good:

An Craos Deamhan is sort of a retelling of Aislinge Meic Con Glinne, but PUL throws plenty of his own material into the story and changes the themes a bit.
Eisirt is similarly a retelling of older folk material based around this character: [url="https://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/oi/authority.20110803095744958"]Eisirt[/url].
An Cleasaidhe is about a witty trickster who comes to a king's court. PUL uses Irish that's a bit older fashioned in it than most of his books. It's quite short though and the "older" stuff is pretty easy to understand anyway, it's just interesting.

An Craos-Deamhan if I remember right is probably the hardest read, since it's less pedagogic than his other books and seems more written for very literate native speakers.

_________________
The dialect I use is Cork Irish.
Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PUL's books
PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct 2022 10:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 17 Oct 2022 4:51 pm
Posts: 15
An Lon Dubh wrote:
baeris wrote:
Hi,

I am interested in trying to work through Peadar Ua Laoghaire's books over the coming months (realistically, years). I have read bits of Séadna and am working through it in a reading group and I am also reading Mo Sgéal Féin on my own. Would anyone please be able to give me a brief overview of about a sentence of each of these?

An Craos-Deamhan, Eisirt, An Cleasaidhe, Lughaidh Mac Con and Críost Mac Dé.

Go raibh maith agaibh
:good:

An Craos Deamhan is sort of a retelling of Aislinge Meic Con Glinne, but PUL throws plenty of his own material into the story and changes the themes a bit.
Eisirt is similarly a retelling of older folk material based around this character: [url="https://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/oi/authority.20110803095744958"]Eisirt[/url].
An Cleasaidhe is about a witty trickster who comes to a king's court. PUL uses Irish that's a bit older fashioned in it than most of his books. It's quite short though and the "older" stuff is pretty easy to understand anyway, it's just interesting.

An Craos-Deamhan if I remember right is probably the hardest read, since it's less pedagogic than his other books and seems more written for very literate native speakers.


That's great, thanks. I'm excited now to get started on these, though I'll probably leave an Craos-Deamhan til the end so!
Go raibh maith agat


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group