It is currently Thu 30 Jun 2022 8:40 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jun 2022 8:20 pm 

Cén sórt seirbhisí poiblí atá ar fáil in Éirinn trí Ghaeilge? (go teoiriciúil).

Tá sé mar aidhm ag Acht na dTeangacha Oifigiúla 2003 líon agus caighdeán na seirbhísí trí Ghaeilge a chuireann comhlachtaí poiblí ar fáil don phobal a mhéadú agus a fheabhsú, ar bhealach eagraithe, thar thréimhse ama. Tá sé i gceist ag an reachtaíocht áit agus spás a chruthú don teanga i saol poiblí na tíre.

Tá dualgas ar gach comhlacht poiblí atá ainmnithe faoin Acht scéim teanga a ullmhú nuair a iarrann an tAire Cultúir, Oidhreachta agus Gaeltachta a leithéid orthu agus an scéim reachtúil sin a chur i bhfeidhm.

Tá na leaganacha Gaeilge de na scéimeanna ar fáil anseo: https://www.coimisineir.ie/sceimeanna-d ... at=showall

What kind of public services are available in Irish in Ireland (in theory).

The aim of the Official Languages Act 2003 is to increase and improve in an organised manner, over a period of time, the quantity and quality of services provided for the public through Irish by public bodies. The legislation intends to create a space for the language in public affairs in Ireland.

Every public body named under the Act has a duty to prepare a language scheme when requested to do so by the Minister for Culture, Heritage and Gaeltacht and to implement that statutory scheme.

English language versions can be found here: https://www.coimisineir.ie/sceimeanna-d ... rchschemes

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jun 2022 8:39 pm 

This is pure tokenism. There is no reason why any public services should be available in Irish in Dublin. All services in the Gaeltacht should be in Irish, of course. The only result of this terrorist-linked political campaign (yes: see the SF manifesto) is to have reams of stuff translated into droch-Ghaelainn that no-one will read and that uses thousands of words made up by learners in the Galltacht that Gaeltacht speakers find difficult to read.

As a native speaker of Irish said "Language preservation doesn’t need tens of thousands of passport forms transmuted into Gobbledegaeilge." See https://kerrygaa.proboards.com/thread/2 ... ead?page=5

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jun 2022 8:51 pm 

djwebb2021 wrote:
This is pure tokenism. There is no reason why any public services should be available in Irish in Dublin. All services in the Gaeltacht should be in Irish, of course. The only result of this terrorist-linked political campaign (yes: see the SF manifesto) is to have reams of stuff translated into droch-Ghaelainn that no-one will read and that uses thousands of words made up by learners in the Galltacht that Gaeltacht speakers find difficult to read.

As a native speaker of Irish said "Language preservation doesn’t need tens of thousands of passport forms transmuted into Gobbledegaeilge." See https://kerrygaa.proboards.com/thread/2 ... ead?page=5

'terrorist-linked political campaign'? :dhera:

There is support across many, if not all, political parties for the Irish language. Not everyone in every party, of course. The Irish language belongs to no political party and the sooner people stop trying to create divisions about it, the better.

I personally know Unionists who have done considerable work in progressing the case for Acht na Gaeilge in the North. They understand that the language crosses political borders and belongs to all who want it. It doesn't make them less of a Unionist because they speak Irish and it certainly doesn't make them a Sinn Féin supporter!

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jun 2022 9:00 pm 

Saoirse wrote:
The Irish language belongs to no political party and the sooner people stop trying to create divisions about it, the better!

Well, start with yourself, Saoirse. Stop creating these divisions.

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jun 2022 9:04 pm 

djwebb2021 wrote:
Saoirse wrote:
The Irish language belongs to no political party and the sooner people stop trying to create divisions about it, the better!

Well, start with yourself, Saoirse. Stop creating these divisions.

:rofl: