It is currently Thu 26 May 2022 1:57 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun 15 May 2022 8:52 pm 

Hi! I posted a question several days ago regarding the proper pronunciation of “oi/io” in the Ulster dialect. It was a pretty lengthy question, and no one answered who knew for sure. So I was just wondering if anyone at least knew the proper Ulster pronunciation for the word “foiche” (wasp) (although I’d be super grateful if anyone may know the answer to my longer question? :razz: )

Based off Abair.ie, it’s (FWEE.hyĭh), but sometimes Abair can be a little wonky, and I’d like to really know for sure, if anyone can help? :D Based off “oich” letter combo words on http://www.fuaimeanna.ie/ga/Recordings.aspx?Ortho=oich , I think it could also be (FĪ.hyĭh)? :/

Thank you to anyone who knows! :wave: :rofl:

PostPosted: Mon 16 May 2022 11:02 am 

Concerning the pronunciation of io and oi in Ulster Irish: it depends on the word, as far as I'm concerned I learn the pronunciation of these words by heart because I haven't noticed rules...

I think "foiche" is pronounced [ˈfɔçɛ] but I'm not 100% sure. You can ask in Gaeilge Amháin on Facebook, I'm sure there are Donegal native speakers who can answer.

PostPosted: Mon 16 May 2022 8:53 pm 

Rose if you buy Vol 4 of Wagner's Atlas of Irish dialects (https://shop.dias.ie/product/linguistic ... -dialects/), it will be the most detailed source you can find. There will be several points in Ulster where an informant answered Wagner's questionnaire on the local dialect, and he transcribes it in phonetic transcription. In the Munster Volume, pt 15 was Muskerry, and there around 1200 sentences given as the translations for Wagner's questionnaire all in phonetic script. The Ulster Volume will probably have a section on Tory Island, a section on Rannafast, a section on some other area, etc. I think points 66 to 86 are Ulster - so it seems to have 20 sections covering slightly different Ulster dialects.

PostPosted: Tue 17 May 2022 1:31 pm 

Wow! Thank you both SO much!

To Lughaidh, thank you! I’m gonna sign up for Facebook in the next few days and check that page/group out! :D (I’ve been operating almost exclusively on Instagram for years, and, for some reason, I’ve been avoiding Facebook cause it’s “new and different” to me…I don’t branch out well. :LOL: …but I definitely think it’s time.) :good:

To DJWebb, Wow! That book sounds like it’s just what I’m looking for! Thank you…I looked at it a few minutes ago, and it seems nearly indispensable (It costs nearly as much in shipping to get it to Alabama, but I’m gonna take the plunge anyway :LOL: ). It’ll be a lifelong resource.

Thank y’all both again for taking the time out of your day to help me out! :aingeal:

Mise le Meas,

Rosie :wave: