It is currently Thu 21 Oct 2021 9:42 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu 16 Sep 2021 11:47 am 

Bríd Mhór wrote:
tiomluasocein wrote:
IrishBabyMama wrote:
I am looking for help spelling an Irish-inspired name for my soon to be born daughter.
My spouse and I had origionally liked the name Aislinn - fell in love with the way we thought it was pronounced. Our understanding is it actually sounds like "ash-lin".

We would like to use an Irish spelling, and want her name to sound "ay z lin" (like the "aise" in mayonnaise followed by lin). Would anyone please let me know if that is possible and if so, what the spelling would be?

Thank you for reviewing this odd request!

You can use the spelling Aislinn and pronounce it any way you want. It seems a lot of people do that these days.

But using Irish orthography, if you wanted to reflect the pronunciation you are looking for (with the "s" sound) maybe spelling it "Éaslainn" would work.

Yes she can write and pronounce it any way she likes. But it won't be an Irish name and it won't be Irish pronunciation.

Éaslainn - I'd be wary of that. It might look to some people that you misspelt "easláin" (especially if you leave the accent off the E) which means sick or handicapped people (plural).

So then I would second your original offering "Aisling". :)