It is currently Thu 05 Aug 2021 5:34 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jul 2021 2:56 pm 

Hi, my issue of Cómhar has arrived, and I'm trying to understand this. It is an article that is addressed to Colm Cille (St. Columba):
Quote:
Nach agat a bheadh an time anois ar na meáin shóisialta agus cúrsaí cóipchirt i dtobar an amhrais sna clabhtaí.

You would have a real liking now for social media and matters of copyright in the well of doubt in the clouds?

I don't know what the well of doubt is, or why copyright is even brought into the sentence. This is the first time I've seen the word time too - the article is written by someone from Cois Fharraige, and so this may be a word found there.

Can anyone explain the meaning?

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jul 2021 4:21 pm 

djwebb2021 wrote:
Hi, my issue of Cómhar has arrived, and I'm trying to understand this. It is an article that is addressed to Colm Cille (St. Columba):
Quote:
Nach agat a bheadh an time anois ar na meáin shóisialta agus cúrsaí cóipchirt i dtobar an amhrais sna clabhtaí.

You would have a real liking now for social media and matters of copyright in the well of doubt in the clouds?

I don't know what the well of doubt is, or why copyright is even brought into the sentence. This is the first time I've seen the word time too - the article is written by someone from Cois Fharraige, and so this may be a word found there.

Can anyone explain the meaning?

Colm Cille was said to be a copyright infringer. (He copied a book secretly.)

Time - I'd think it is the English word time [taım] and probably an-time ['an'taım] (great time) instead of an time [ə tımə] (the tenderness).
Tá an-time agat is a often heard phrase.

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jul 2021 4:59 pm 

Thank you. My translation was with an eye on time in Foclóir Gaeilge-Béarla, where it means "weakness", and I thought it meant a weakness for something (fonn chun ruda). But your version makes more sense. and I didn't know Colm Cille was a copyright infringer!!!

Of course, there was no copyright law then, but you could still have offended someone by copying his book!

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jul 2021 8:11 pm 

Yeah "time" is the English word. Pretty much every native speaker in Conamara says it.
You will have a great time. Beidh an-time 'ad.
Sometimes you see it written as taidhm.

Clabhtaí - That's the Conamara word for clouds. We seldom use "néalta".

I assume the clouds mentioned here are computer storage in the cloud, not real clouds.

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jul 2021 12:00 pm 

Bríd Mhór wrote:
Yeah "time" is the English word. Pretty much every native speaker in Conamara says it.

I assume the clouds mentioned here are computer storage in the cloud, not real clouds.

What about scamall? Do you use that word in Conemara?

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jul 2021 11:38 pm 

djwebb2021 wrote:
Bríd Mhór wrote:

What about scamall? Do you use that word in Conemara?

Yes, but more often as an adverb - Tá sé scamallach. As there is no such word as "clabhtach", or "néaltach" either for that matter, as far as I know at least I've never heard those words used.

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jul 2021 12:09 am 

Thank you. It's interesting to know which words are said where.