It is currently Thu 06 May 2021 9:21 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Translation for Book
PostPosted: Sat 10 Apr 2021 12:25 am 

I've written a book and want to use the correct term for "the Tombs of the Forgotten". What I've been told is Tuamai na Dearmad or Tuamai na Dearmadta. Would like to get it right, so will appreciate the help. It's supposed to be ancient Gaelic, but I thought that might confuse readers too much, so modern Irish would be fine, unless someone happens to know ancient Irish. :)

Thanks,

Inez

Post subject: Re: Translation for Book
PostPosted: Sat 10 Apr 2021 7:11 pm 

borderreiver wrote:
I've written a book and want to use the correct term for "the Tombs of the Forgotten". What I've been told is Tuamai na Dearmad or Tuamai na Dearmadta. Would like to get it right, so will appreciate the help. It's supposed to be ancient Gaelic, but I thought that might confuse readers too much, so modern Irish would be fine, unless someone happens to know ancient Irish. :)

Thanks,

Inez

When is the book set? (To decide which language, Archaic, Old, Middle, Classical or Modern Irish, is appropriate.) But to use only the last one is probably better.

Tuamaí (acute accent on i)

Dearmad is a noun (or a verb). It means forgetfulness (or forget, forgetting). Tuamaí an Dearmaid = The Tombs of the Forgetfulness.

"The forgotten" is trickier. Dearmadta is an adjective or participle meaning forgotten. But it cannot be substantivated (or personalized) like English "the forgotten"
First, you need a noun for people: na daoine.
Then you can add dearmadta: Tuamaí na ndaoine dearmadta = the tombs of the forgotten people.
(ndaoine because of genitive case)

But it isn't very common to use dearmadta as an attributive adjective, whysoever.
There are no forgotten people, there are people that have been forgotten: na daoine atá dearmadta (ag na ndaoine eile = by other people)
So: tuamaí na ndaoine atá dearmadta.

And in Irish the noun dearmad is usually preferred to the verb dearmad, you don't forget, you make forgetfulness or you let forgetfulness on someone or let them in forgetfullness.
So: tuamaí na ndaoine ar ligeadh dearmad orthu.
or: tuamaí na ndaoine a ligeadh i ndearmad.

Still quite long.

You could use na daoine ar neamhaird instead. (neamhaird = inattention, heedlessness, ar neamhaird = unheeded, forgotten)
So: tuamaí na ndaoine ar neamhaird

Perhaps there are other more idiomatic and shorter ways to translate it.
Please wait for others.

PostPosted: Sat 10 Apr 2021 7:44 pm 

Thanks so much. I did use Tuamaí na Dearmad in the first book, but as it was only used once or twice, I'm not so worried about that. This book it's used quite a bit though, and will be the title of the next book. The first was the Cross of Ciarán, this one is the Book of Carraig. Those were names though. The character involved in the next once is Dáire, so I could probably go with that. Otherwise it would be too long. When I have the character talking about the tombs as a whole, however, that's another story. It's a place, that is speaking about tombs whose occupants are never to be spoken of again, so it could be forgotten people or ones I guess, as they're looked on as if they never existed. I also have the Cave of Rún (The Cave of Secrets) meaning it holds secrets or is where the secrets are hidden And the Caves of the Ancients or Ancient ones, meaning that is where the elders are buried. Would you be able to let me know what they would be as well. Thanks so much

PostPosted: Tue 13 Apr 2021 1:48 pm 

borderreiver wrote:
Thanks so much. I did use Tuamaí na Dearmad in the first book, but as it was only used once or twice, I'm not so worried about that. This book it's used quite a bit though, and will be the title of the next book. The first was the Cross of Ciarán, this one is the Book of Carraig. Those were names though. The character involved in the next once is Dáire, so I could probably go with that. Otherwise it would be too long. When I have the character talking about the tombs as a whole, however, that's another story. It's a place, that is speaking about tombs whose occupants are never to be spoken of again, so it could be forgotten people or ones I guess, as they're looked on as if they never existed. I also have the Cave of Rún (The Cave of Secrets) meaning it holds secrets or is where the secrets are hidden And the Caves of the Ancients or Ancient ones, meaning that is where the elders are buried. Would you be able to let me know what they would be as well. Thanks so much

the Cave of the Secrets = Uaimh na Rún
the Caves of the Ancients = Uaimheanna na Sinsear

PostPosted: Wed 14 Apr 2021 6:56 am 

Thanks for the help. I think for the tombs I may make it the tombs that are forgotten. Would that be Tuamaí Dearmadta? I need it to be short and sweet.