It is currently Sun 11 Oct 2026 10:13 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat 16 Mar 2013 6:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 15 Mar 2013 10:45 pm
Posts: 1
The quote is "better to fight for something than live for nothing"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tattoo
PostPosted: Sun 17 Mar 2013 3:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1581
jalar16 wrote:
The quote is "better to fight for something than live for nothing"


Perhaps:

Is fearr ar son ruda a throid ná gan chúis a mhaireachtáil
It's better to fight for the sake of something than to live without a cause/purpose.

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Last edited by CaoimhínSF on Tue 26 Mar 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tattoo
PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar 2013 7:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
CaoimhínSF wrote:
jalar16 wrote:
The quote is "better to fight for something than live for nothing"

Perhaps:

Is fearr ar son ruda a throid ná gan cuis a mhaireachtáil
It's better to fight for the sake of something than to live without a cause/purpose.

I may be wrong but I would only use a throid and a mhaireachtáil if there was a direct object. In this case I'd say:

Is fearr troid ar son ruda ná maireachtáil gan chúis†

(†cúis with a síneadh fada, definitely, and I am not sure but I think the word following gan is lenited when on its own but unlenited when it is part of a phrase?)

Await further input ...

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 26 Mar 2013 12:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 01 Oct 2011 12:03 am
Posts: 231
I'd invert an extant seanfhocal...
Is fearr deasheasamh ná drochrith.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 549 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group