It is currently Wed 07 Oct 2026 5:54 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue 16 Oct 2012 2:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 1313
Hi,

I've started a thread slowly going through the case system in Munster in Nótaí an Loin Dhuibh. However I would like to hear how others use the cases, particularly
other dialects.
For instance how would most of you say "Men!/Guys!", would it be A fheara! or something else?
Would "Boys!" be A gharsúna! or something else?

_________________
The dialect I use is Cork Irish.
Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 16 Oct 2012 7:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Learning Irish gives a fheara ! "(you) men!". The Iorras Aithneach study gives a fheara ! or a fhearaibh ! for the same, but a fhir chóir, a fhir mhaith, etc., with an adjective.

gasúr is "child" in Connemara. Learning Irish gives A ghasúir bheaga ! "(you) little children !", but no example without an adjective. :(

The Iorras Aithneach study gives a ghasúir, a ghasúr as the vocative singular, and contrasts it with Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge: an deilbhíocht, de Bhaldraithe (1953) § 40 but I don't have the latter or know what that means. :dhera:

An Lon Dubh wrote:
However I can't think of a situation where you would really say this ("Two dogs!" rather then "Dogs!") and even addressing animals is rare.
(Even Old Irish did not have a vocative dual).

A dual vocative would make sense if translated "You two men!" (That's not to say there is one in Irish, only that that's how it would work in English.)

An Lon Dubh wrote:
I cannot think of an example of a noun in this declension with a strong plural that is animate however. If anybody has any suggestions.

Learning Irish gives a rifíneachaí ! "(You) ruffians!" and a rifíneachaí bradacha ! "(You) thieving ruffians!" (but Connemara Irish uses "strong" plural endings more than other dialects, I suppose? :dhera:)

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 16 Oct 2012 8:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 18 Aug 2012 11:43 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Nua Mheicsiceo
First of all, I think it's great that you are doing this. There are not nearly enough resources out there for people who would like to learn Munster Irish, so everything helps. :good:

I think it would be very helpful for learners (well, for me at least) if you would also include the indefinite forms of the genitive and dative. For example, the first genitive singular that you gave us is: Cliathán an bhóthair – The side of the road. It would be nice to also see: "The side of a road", "A side of the road", and "A side of a road"; and the same with the genitive plurals and the dative forms. And of course, a translation next to each of them would be nice for learners. I have never seen a grammar book with this information.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct 2012 9:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 1313
Go raibh maith agat as do theachtaireacht, a Bhreandáin!

Quote:
I think it would be very helpful for learners (well, for me at least) if you would also include the indefinite forms of the genitive and dative.

No problem. I'll do this in a later post as using an indefinite noun or not can decide if you use a genitive or dative.

Quote:
And of course, a translation next to each of them would be nice for learners.

There are translations in now. :GRMA:

_________________
The dialect I use is Cork Irish.
Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 01 Nov 2012 9:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 1313
I've asked a native speaker about the vocative dual, since it theoretically might matter for the second declension which I just posted. However I was told that you would virtually never say such a thing. However the form is what you'd expect, the nominative form with the vocative particle, a, in front.

Some errors corrected throughout.

_________________
The dialect I use is Cork Irish.
Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 951 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group