It is currently Sat 07 Sep 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct 2023 1:14 pm 

Mmm, yeah, I see now. I understand what you mean. " Nach raibh ann ach seachmaill
idir séanadh agus réaltacht?" does make more sense. :oops: :)

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct 2023 2:55 am 

Pearl wrote:
Congratulations, Ssalzano!

Go raibh míle maith agat a Pearl. Actually should I use 'a Phearl' if its the vocative ? Even though it's your user name ? By the way my daughter got me this awesome old Irish dictionary last Christmas by Patrick S. Dineen publlished 1904 which uses dots above the letters for lenition and the Cló Gaelach (which I had to do emergency repairs on just recently but dont tell Becca ! lol) as I spilt stuff all over it. It takes some getting used to :). I use it a lot when I can't find words in teanglann.ie which are in this dictionary as they've fallen out of usage or are not in the Caighdéan. Is that how you refer to the standard taught in schools in Ireland. Sorry this post is off the track of the main thread :GRMA:

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct 2023 4:27 am 

You're welcome :good: :D. I'm not from Ireland or from some sort of Irish descent( that I know of). I have some type of European in my family,
but they're from a long time ago, so I don't know where they are from. That's probably a sign of a needed ancestry test. Anyway, where I'm from,
the other languages we're offered are only Spanish and French. My school definitely isn't teaching a language like Irish, so I'm winging it right
now. Maybe a college would offer that :rolleyes:. I really like other cultures and languages a lot, they're just so miraculous to me. I remember I
was telling my mother about some stuff in Japan and she was saying that no average person would know what I know. It's a strange feeling. Also,
don't worry about posting off-topic in this thread. It gets kind of lonely as I have to wait for feedback. It kind of feels like being a book that only
gets dusted off once in a while. So, I'm open to discussion while I wait, if the forum allows. :)

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct 2023 3:50 pm 

I've been wondering about the development of the Irish language. What year would someone say that standard Irish came into place within
Ireland?

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct 2023 4:03 pm 

Pearl wrote:
I've been wondering about the development of the Irish language. What year would someone say that standard Irish came into place within
Ireland?

About 1950. Completely artificial variant the standard. They also massively simplified the spelling which actually makes the language harder and less sensical to learners. Example:

Pre-standard: Scríobhtha (written) from scríobh (to write) and -tha (common equivalent of suffix of -en). Completely sensical.
Standard: scríofa which makes no sense, just bc "bhth" sounds like "f" to them (the standardises), where "scríobh" still means write.

Last edited by Ceanntuigheoireacht6 on Fri 27 Oct 2023 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct 2023 4:41 pm 

Thank you for answering my question. Also, I know what you mean, the pronunciations kill me sometimes :oops: . I would have to listen by ear in a song
or put words into audio websites just so I could know how it would sound.

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct 2023 4:44 pm 

Ceanntuigheoireacht6 wrote:
Pearl wrote:
Ireland?

About 1950. Completely artificial variant the standard. They also massively simplified the spelling which actually makes the language harder and less sensical to learners. Example:

Pre-standard: Scríobhtha (written) from scríobh (to write) and -tha (common equivalent of suffix of -en).
Standard: scríofa which makes no sense, just bc "bhth" sounds like "f" to them, where "scríobh" still means write.

longfort is another ridiculous one -for longphort. Literally long+port. They were Viking ship fortresses - they were built in the harbour and the boats could sail right up to them.

PostPosted: Sat 28 Oct 2023 6:14 pm 

Okie dokie, any final suggestions for this piece before I submit the next one?:

Nach raibh ann ach seachmaill idir séanadh agus réaltacht?
Tá mé caillte i fantasíochta.
Im shaol trua, tá mé gafa go deo.
Ní féidir liom éalú.

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct 2023 8:20 pm 

Pearl wrote:
Okie dokie, any final suggestions for this piece before I submit the next one?:

Nach raibh ann ach seachmaill idir séanadh agus réaltacht?
Tá mé caillte i fantasíochta.
Im shaol trua, tá mé gafa go deo.
Ní féidir liom éalú.

I'm no expert on the new words (i.e. fantaisíocht), even tho Irish was my first language Id just say it in English, but isnt the standard spelling of fantasy is "fantaisíocht" without -a in the Nominative Case?

Last edited by Ceanntuigheoireacht6 on Wed 01 Nov 2023 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov 2023 12:31 pm 

Oh, well, thank you for trying. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next