It is currently Sun 11 Oct 2026 2:50 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2013 7:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 01 Mar 2013 3:50 pm
Posts: 171
Saoirse wrote:
Now you can check out your private messages - you have posted ten times!

Go raibh maith agat as an eolas. An fiafraí a dheineas fé seo im' chur in aithne, ní bhfuair sé aon fhreagairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2013 10:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 01 Mar 2013 3:50 pm
Posts: 171
Mediterranean wrote:
I'm from Mallorca. And now I'm curious: do the people over there know that actually Spanish is not the language of Mallorca?

Ah, Mallorcan! For those who think that what Barcelona Catalan doesn't have enough of is shwas.

For those who are curious what it sounds like, there's an excellent pop band from Mallorca called Antònia Font. Here's one of their songs (with lyrics): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6M0xPei49k.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2013 11:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 17 Mar 2013 7:46 pm
Posts: 21
Quote:
There's a broad and slender version of both l and ll. Your ll is the slender version of Irish ll. I'm not sure which of the two Irish l's your l is closer to.

Ok... true. So... I think I've heard the two kinds of l sounds and one kind of ll sound from the sound files you posted so far, right? Now only the broad ll is left for me to hear. About the two kinds of l (Achtáil and Lóma from your audio files) I think I can hear the difference, but I'm not totally sure. I think Achtáil contains the kind of l used in mainland Catalan and in British English, while Lóma contains the l used in Majorcan Catalan and in American English, but I may easily be totally wrong.
Quote:
Catalan has a velar l (i.e. IPA [ɫ]) in most positions, even word-initially. That would make it most similar to broad single Irish l, I would think. (I'm hazy on the precise differences between lenis and fortis sonorants in Irish, as the variety I speak doesn't have them.)

Well, actually, to complicate things more, the Catalan of Mallorca has an l that is a bit different from the general Catalan l (not sure about Valencian), I think. I often compare it to the American l (being like the majorcan one) and the British l (like the "general Catalan" one). But these are just observations of mine, I've never read about it so I may be wrong.
Quote:
Ah, Mallorcan! For those who think that what Barcelona Catalan doesn't have enough of is shwas.

Yeah, we're the kings of the schwa. :darklaugh: While general eastern Catalan only uses the schwa in unstressed syllables we also use it in stressed syllables, so we can even say full sentences only using consonants and schwas if we choose only schwa words. :LOL:
Quote:
For those who are curious what it sounds like, there's an excellent pop band from Mallorca called Antònia Font. Here's one of their songs (with lyrics): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6M0xPei49k.

Oh, Antònia Font, funny one. Always making weird songs with random words (the name of the group itself is a femenine random name nobody knows where it came from), but it's quite good. I'm surprised to find so many people who know so much about my language/place on an Irish language forum. :O


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar 2013 3:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Mediterranean wrote:
I think Achtáil contains the kind of l used in mainland Catalan and in British English, while Lóma contains the l used in Majorcan Catalan and in American English, but I may easily be totally wrong.

I think this is correct as far as American "L" and British RP "L" are concerned. :yes:

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar 2013 11:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun 17 Mar 2013 7:46 pm
Posts: 21
Quote:
I think this is correct as far as American "L" and British RP "L" are concerned.

Really? I'm better than I thought. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar 2013 6:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 17 Mar 2013 7:46 pm
Posts: 21
So... any free site to learn?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar 2013 9:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 12:24 am
Posts: 114
Location: Éire
Any particular dialect you interested in?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar 2013 10:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 17 Mar 2013 7:46 pm
Posts: 21
Benjamin wrote:
Any particular dialect you interested in?

Well, I lived in Galway for a while, and that area is kind of like in the middle, isn't? So maybe I'd like to learn the Connacht dialect (Connemara etc), but linguistically speaking I honestly have no idea what it is like or what the other dialects are like. In fact, I wouldn't mind learning the standard Irish even though it's artificial, maybe that way it'd be easier for me to understand and communicate with all the dialects? As long as I don't get an anglicized Irish, it would be ok.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar 2013 10:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
Quote:
In fact, I wouldn't mind learning the standard Irish even though it's artificial, maybe that way it'd be easier for me to understand and communicate with all the dialects? As long as I don't get an anglicized Irish, it would be ok.


no, all dialects are interunderstandable (?), no need to learn standard Irish, which is just as easily understood (except for artificial words) but it sounds unnatural to all native speakers.

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar 2013 10:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 17 Mar 2013 7:46 pm
Posts: 21
Quote:
no, all dialects are interunderstandable (?), no need to learn standard Irish, which is just as easily understood (except for artificial words) but it sounds unnatural to all native speakers.

Hmm... I see... then I don't know... do most websites, books, etc teach a particular dialect or standard Irish?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 394 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group