Mick wrote:
Redwolf, here's a few different things that came to mind while I was reading this topic . . .
"Travellers" are a socio-ethnic group. When I read the thread title, I thought you were asking about members of the travelling community. In Ireland, people from other countries are called tourists or immigrants (depending on how long they plan to stay).
I know someone who asked for a "bag of chips" in a fast-food place in America. She was surprised when they gave her a pack of Doritos, then she remembered to say "french fries."
A lot of American terms would be understood in Ireland. We all know the words french fries, gasoline, cellphone etc. even if we don't use them ourselves.
Nobody in Ireland says restroom. It's called the toilet, the bog, the jacks or the loo. Sometimes we call it the bathroom even if there's no bath in it.
Thanks...those are all good ones!
Oh, I know that people will understand many, if not all, of the American terms...this is geared more for Americans who might not understand the Irish terms. I'll probably focus mainly on things that might take an American tourist by surprise (for example "what exactly did you cousin mean when he asked if you turned off the immersion?")
GRMA!
Redwolf