It is currently Sat 07 Sep 2024 11:42 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug 2023 11:43 pm 

Pearl wrote:
djwebb2021 wrote:
Tair thar n-ais, fíll chúm,
a pheidhleacáin bhig,
go raibh slí abhaile aimsithe agat.

Djwebb2021, can you explain the changes you made to me, please?

It's Munster Irish, but you wanted the Standardised Irish. Féileacán is peidhleacán in Munster.

PostPosted: Sun 06 Aug 2023 3:00 pm 

djwebb2021 wrote:
Pearl wrote:
djwebb2021 wrote:
a pheidhleacáin bhig,

It's Munster Irish, but you wanted the Standardised Irish. Féileacán is peidhleacán in Munster.

This is probably West Muskerry rather than more broadly Munster, no?

In any case, I don't think there's any reason to change bealach to slí for dialectal reasons. Bealach is widely used in Munster, and forms well understood set phrases like bealach isteach/amach "entrance/exit", bealach éalaithe "escape route", and bealach mór "highway". Unless this change was just an artistic flourish?

PostPosted: Sun 06 Aug 2023 3:40 pm 

Ade wrote:
djwebb2021 wrote:
Pearl wrote:
djwebb2021 wrote:
a pheidhleacáin bhig,

This is probably West Muskerry rather than more broadly Munster, no?

In any case, I don't think there's any reason to change bealach to slí for dialectal reasons. Bealach is widely used in Munster, and forms well understood set phrases like bealach isteach/amach "entrance/exit", bealach éalaithe "escape route", and bealach mór "highway". Unless this change was just an artistic flourish?

Well, Gaeilge Chorca Duibhne shows peidhleacán too (section 853), as does the pronunciation file on teanglann.ie, so I think peidhleacán is correct for Munster. I don't know about Waterford, so it may be West Munster (at least).

Bealach is hardly ever found in Muskerry literature, apart from placenames. I don't know where you're getting "escape route" and the like from. These are probably CO words, even if you've seen them pasted up in Munster. What's the evidence that this is Gaeltacht Irish anywhere in Munster? Slí amach and bóthar mór make more sense. There are bound to be Munster authors who use CO words, but as far as I know, bealach is used in non-Munster dialects.

PostPosted: Sun 06 Aug 2023 9:26 pm 

Hello, I'm back, I had to find the right tune for the lament, but I'm ready with more lyrics.

Lyrics:

I was abandoned long ago.
Searching for answers.
My heart is broken.
Even though, I still await your return.

I also have a question, again. When people refer to themselves, is every word in the sentence changed based on the gender of them? The person
who's supposedly the creator of this song is a male, so I wanted to make sure it was translated correctly based on that fact.

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug 2023 12:52 am 

Pearl wrote:
Hello, I'm back, I had to find the right tune for the lament, but I'm ready with more lyrics.

Lyrics:

I was abandoned long ago.
Searching for answers.
My heart is broken.
Even though, I still await your return.

I also have a question, again. When people refer to themselves, is every word in the sentence changed based on the gender of them? The person
who's supposedly the creator of this song is a male, so I wanted to make sure it was translated correctly based on that fact.

Tréigeadh mé fadó.
Ag tóraíocht freagraí.
Tá mo chroí briste.
Cé go bh'fanaim fós le d'fhilleadh.

The short answer to your question is no.

Nouns in Irish are described as having their own gender. For example, gluaisteán "car", geimhreadh "winter" and (ironically) cailín "girl" are all masculine nouns, while cláirseach "harp", fuinneog "window", and leabharlann "library" are all feminine nouns. This is grammatical gender, and should not be confused or conflated with the gender of any people who may be speaking/writing, or who may be being spoken/written about.

Adjectives which augment a noun can change to agree with the gender of the noun which they affect. So a cold winter would be a geimhreadh fuar, but a cold library would be a leabharlann fhuar. A quiet girl (which is a masculine noun, remember) would be a cailín ciúin but a quiet harp would be a cláirseach chiúin. Finally, a broken car would be a gluaisteán briste but a broken window would be a fuinneog bhriste.

Pronouns too, which refer to a noun, will alternate to reflect the gender of the noun itself EXCEPT if the noun represents a person. In other words, where we would say "it" in English, referring to something we have been speaking about, in Irish we would say é "he" or í "she" instead. So, if you were trying to say "it is a nice car" you would say is gluaisteán deas é, literally "he is a nice car", and if you wanted to say "it is a nice harp", you would say is cláirseach dheas í, literally "she is a nice harp". The exception, as I mentioned above, is where you're speaking about a person. So, if you wanted to say "she is a quiet girl", even though cailín "girl" is a masculine noun, you would still say is cailín ciúin í, literally "she is a quiet girl", because you're talking about the person.

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug 2023 1:59 am 

It makes much more sense now! Thanks for explaining! When I was looking up words for " abandoned ", I came across a word, in a song I know, once more, and it was " fagadh ". I thought I could dabble in this word, but then I got lost in grammatical forms, so I kind of just waited for someone's response :LOL:

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug 2023 2:02 am 

Also, thanks for translating!

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug 2023 5:25 pm 

How do you pronounce bh'fanaim, d'fhilleadh, and freagraí?

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug 2023 7:10 pm 

Pearl wrote:
How do you pronounce bh'fanaim, d'fhilleadh, and freagraí?

Ade meant to write "go bhfanaim", pronounced vanim, or wanim. (VANim, WAnim)

d'fhilleadh: pronounce dili. (DILLuh)

freagraí; pronounced freagaraí. (frag-a-REE)

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug 2023 10:45 pm 

djwebb2021 wrote:
Ade meant to write "go bhfanaim"

Yes indeed, thank you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next