Breandán wrote:
An Cionnfhaolach wrote:
That's as bad for me as someone saying "Ó Mo Dhia"
Bríd says that all the time! (Ever noticed the "OMD" in her posts?)


, I'd say "OMD" is the translation as the acronym "OMG"- rather than "Oh My God". Irish has entered the post-modern era, we are now translating web-chat "OMG" as "OMD"
Do people in Connamara really say "Ó Mo Dhia" when they make a balls of something or hear bad news, instead of "A Thiarna" or the nearly extinct Cork version "A Thiarcais"?
"Ó Mo Dhia" is the phrase I use when I want to give out about urban Irish

, I haven't any bother with it being a translation of OMG though. Thankfully, here in Ireland there's nobody going around the place saying "OMG" in speech, except maybe in D4, but that crowed are more American than Irish...nothing against Americans either might I add. I have trouble sometimes distuinguishing between a D4 person and an American (Jedward is a prime example).
_________________
Is Fearr súil romhainn ná ḋá ṡúil inár ndiaiḋ
(Amhlaoibh Ó Súilleabháin)
Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice
I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)