It is currently Wed 30 Sep 2026 3:35 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr 2012 12:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 06 Apr 2012 12:37 pm
Posts: 3
hello, I want to get a tattoo in honor of my brother! Please help me translate 'love for my brother' or something of that sort? thank you so much!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr 2012 12:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
klmagee08 wrote:
hello, I want to get a tattoo in honor of my brother! Please help me translate 'love for my brother' or something of that sort? thank you so much!


Hi, and welcome to the Forum. Spread the word!

I suggest Grá do mo dheartháir. Wait for confirmation/other opinions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr 2012 5:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Scooby wrote:
klmagee08 wrote:
hello, I want to get a tattoo in honor of my brother! Please help me translate 'love for my brother' or something of that sort? thank you so much!


Hi, and welcome to the Forum. Spread the word!

I suggest Grá do mo dheartháir. Wait for confirmation/other opinions.


Looks good to me!

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr 2012 6:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 06 Apr 2012 12:37 pm
Posts: 3
Thank you very much! And also how is dheartháir pronounced?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr 2012 6:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
I'm leaving this for those who are better with phonetics. I can tell you that there are fairly big differences between the northern dialect and the others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr 2012 1:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 17 Sep 2011 11:52 pm
Posts: 460
Scooby wrote:
klmagee08 wrote:
hello, I want to get a tattoo in honor of my brother! Please help me translate 'love for my brother' or something of that sort? thank you so much!


Hi, and welcome to the Forum. Spread the word!

I suggest Grá do mo dheartháir. Wait for confirmation/other opinions.



This looks grand to me also.
I have tried a soundfile for the pronunciation, if it is of any help.

http://www.box.com/s/56d83b15b3a7ab83fb19

The nearest using English pronunciation: Graw duh muh grihawr

_________________
Bí cinnte de go nglacfaidh triúr le gach aistriúchán a thabharfar.
Be sure to get three in agreement with a translation given.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr 2012 1:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri 06 Apr 2012 12:37 pm
Posts: 3
Thank you so much I really appreciate it!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr 2012 8:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Braoin wrote:
Scooby wrote:
klmagee08 wrote:
hello, I want to get a tattoo in honor of my brother! Please help me translate 'love for my brother' or something of that sort? thank you so much!

Hi, and welcome to the Forum. Spread the word!

I suggest Grá do mo dheartháir. Wait for confirmation/other opinions.

This looks grand to me also.
I have tried a soundfile for the pronunciation, if it is of any help.

http://www.box.com/s/56d83b15b3a7ab83fb19

The nearest using English pronunciation: Graw duh muh grihawr

Nice sound file, Braoin.

Though Braoin has written a "g" in "grihawr", he is actually (unconsciously correctly) pronouncing a y sound. I'd write it as:

GRAW duh muh yi-RHI-hawrh
/grɑ: də mə ɣ´r´ihɑ:r´/

If you listen closely to Braoin's pronunciation you'll notice that the r's are lightly flapped so as to have a slight buzzy j sound to them. That's what the rh stands for in my phonics.

In some parts of Connemara, deartháir is pronounced as if spelled driotháir, as Braoin has given it. But as Scooby mentioned pronunciation varies greatly in the North and South and this is one word with a wide range of pronunciations.

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1264 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group