|
I’m working on a sketch inspired by Irish illuminated manuscripts- I may end up making a wood carving if I like how it turns out? It’ll feature the Murphy family motto “Fortis et Hospitalis” but I’d love to translate it to Irish Gaelic, rather than Latin. “Fortis” is the root word of fortitude- it translates as strong and brave, usually in the sense of a warrior. “Hospitalis” carried its meaning into hospitality, describing someone who is caring, kind or generous especially as a host. I used focloir.ie and wiktionary to look up translations, and I like “Láidir agus Fáilteach,” but I had a hard time deciding on which synonym for “strong” to use (there's just so many ways to describe strength in Gaelic). I’m trying to capture the connotation of “the fortitude of a warrior” and “the hospitality of a good host” as best as I can in two words. Just wondering if anyone smarter has any advice, or if I’m missing better synonyms. Also if anyone has knowledge of the how this would be spelled in the old Irish script, I’d love to hear about that too. Thanks in advance!
|