It is currently Fri 18 Jun 2021 9:02 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed 05 May 2021 11:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 16 Dec 2015 8:36 pm
Posts: 62
The following is a quote from the book "I dTír Strainséartha" by Liam Mac Cóil (sequel to 'An Litir')

"Agus sin é go díreach an rud a theastaigh uaim, nuair a thosaigh Eachtra seo na Litreach, mar atáim a tabhairt uirthi: breathnú amach do Lúcás. Ina ionad sin is ag breathnú ina dhiaidh a bhí mé, agus sin ar bhealach eile ar fad - ba lag ar fad é m'iarrachtsa ar a shon, mar a fheicfidh tú."

I'm not grasping the difference between these two phrases: "breathnú amach do dhuine" agus "breathnú i ndiaidh duine". Could someone explain?

Go raibh míle maith agaibh,

Oscar :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 05 May 2021 11:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 1445
breathnaigh amach do dhuine = look out for someone
breathnaigh i ndiaidh duine = look after someone


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 06 May 2021 7:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed 16 Dec 2015 8:36 pm
Posts: 62
Labhrás wrote:
breathnaigh amach do dhuine = look out for someone
breathnaigh i ndiaidh duine = look after someone


I know but it seems strange to say "instead of looking out for someone I was looking after them". So I was wondering if there was more to it than met the eye, or if it just means literally what it says.

GRMA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 06 May 2021 2:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 2943
gliaire wrote:
Labhrás wrote:
breathnaigh amach do dhuine = look out for someone
breathnaigh i ndiaidh duine = look after someone


I know but it seems strange to say "instead of looking out for someone I was looking after them". So I was wondering if there was more to it than met the eye, or if it just means literally what it says.

GRMA


I agree with Labhrás.

I think there is a big difference in involvement between the two, just like in English.
If you're looking out for someone you'll check in on them now and again to see if they're ok. If you looking after somebody you are responsible for their care, and depending on their needs it could mean a lot of work


.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 06 May 2021 6:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 16 Dec 2015 8:36 pm
Posts: 62
Bríd Mhór wrote:
gliaire wrote:
Labhrás wrote:
breathnaigh amach do dhuine = look out for someone
breathnaigh i ndiaidh duine = look after someone


I know but it seems strange to say "instead of looking out for someone I was looking after them". So I was wondering if there was more to it than met the eye, or if it just means literally what it says.

GRMA


I agree with Labhrás.

I think there is a big difference in involvement between the two, just like in English.
If you're looking out for someone you'll check in on them now and again to see if they're ok. If you looking after somebody you are responsible for their care, and depending on their needs it could mean a lot of work

.


That's a fair point. I never thought to compare the two English phrases. Like you say, there is a big difference.

Thank you, Labhrás and Bríd.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 85 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group