It is currently Fri 18 Jun 2021 9:02 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed 05 May 2021 11:13 pm 

The following is a quote from the book "I dTír Strainséartha" by Liam Mac Cóil (sequel to 'An Litir')

"Agus sin é go díreach an rud a theastaigh uaim, nuair a thosaigh Eachtra seo na Litreach, mar atáim a tabhairt uirthi: breathnú amach do Lúcás. Ina ionad sin is ag breathnú ina dhiaidh a bhí mé, agus sin ar bhealach eile ar fad - ba lag ar fad é m'iarrachtsa ar a shon, mar a fheicfidh tú."

I'm not grasping the difference between these two phrases: "breathnú amach do dhuine" agus "breathnú i ndiaidh duine". Could someone explain?

Go raibh míle maith agaibh,

Oscar :D

PostPosted: Wed 05 May 2021 11:34 pm 

breathnaigh amach do dhuine = look out for someone
breathnaigh i ndiaidh duine = look after someone

PostPosted: Thu 06 May 2021 7:26 am 

Labhrás wrote:

I know but it seems strange to say "instead of looking out for someone I was looking after them". So I was wondering if there was more to it than met the eye, or if it just means literally what it says.

GRMA

PostPosted: Thu 06 May 2021 2:36 pm 

gliaire wrote:
Labhrás wrote:

I know but it seems strange to say "instead of looking out for someone I was looking after them". So I was wondering if there was more to it than met the eye, or if it just means literally what it says.

GRMA

I agree with Labhrás.

I think there is a big difference in involvement between the two, just like in English.
If you're looking out for someone you'll check in on them now and again to see if they're ok. If you looking after somebody you are responsible for their care, and depending on their needs it could mean a lot of work

PostPosted: Thu 06 May 2021 6:02 pm 

Bríd Mhór wrote:
gliaire wrote:
Labhrás wrote:

GRMA

I agree with Labhrás.

I think there is a big difference in involvement between the two, just like in English.
If you're looking out for someone you'll check in on them now and again to see if they're ok. If you looking after somebody you are responsible for their care, and depending on their needs it could mean a lot of work

That's a fair point. I never thought to compare the two English phrases. Like you say, there is a big difference.

Thank you, Labhrás and Bríd.