It is currently Thu 08 Oct 2026 2:18 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: In GOT we trust
PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct 2012 8:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
Saoirse wrote:
Bríd Mhór wrote:
But I think "gléasta" for simple dressing is more common in other dialects or in the Caighdeán (does it have a Munster ring to it ? )
Are you suggesting that people are better dressed elsewhere!! Gumbi, An Cionnfhaolach and An Lon Dubh will have to post photos of themselves in their glad rags for this one! :mrgreen:


...and each of them wearing their 'Munster ring' too. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In GOT we trust
PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct 2012 8:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3002
D’éirigh mé. Chuir mé orm mo chuid éadaigh. D'fhág mé an teach ar a hocht a chlog. Chuaigh mé ar an mbus. D’éirigh mé tinn / chuir mé amach/bhí múisc orm. D’éirigh mé níos measa. D'fhág mé an bus. Chuaigh mé amú. Baineadh geit asam nuair a shroich mé an scoil. Thóg mé amach m’fhón póca agus ghlaoigh mé ar rúnaí na scoile. Shroich mé an scoil cúig nóiméad ina dhiaidh sin. Tháinig biseach orm níos déanaí, ach goideadh m’fhón póca.

Nuair a chuaigh mé abhaile, d’fhiafraigh mo Mham díom cé chaoi a d’éirigh liom. Bhí mé i dtrioblóid. Bíonn sí de shíor ag iarraidh locht a fháil orm. Cén fáth nach féidir linn réiteach lena chéile? Ní thuigim é (ar chorr ar bith)!

Táim féin chun dul ar aghaidh le cúrsaí. Gabhfaidh mé amach nuair a bheas m’obair baile críochnaithe agam. Bainfidh mé díoltas amach ar an ngadaí in am is i dtráth.


I'm not correcting at all just showing how I'd say some of the things myself.

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In GOT we trust
PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct 2012 8:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3002
Saoirse wrote:
Bríd Mhór wrote:
But I think "gléasta" for simple dressing is more common in other dialects or in the Caighdeán (does it have a Munster ring to it ? )
Are you suggesting that people are better dressed elsewhere!! Gumbi, An Cionnfhaolach and An Lon Dubh will have to post photos of themselves in their glad rags for this one! :mrgreen:


:LOL:

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In GOT we trust
PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct 2012 9:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
Grma a Bhríd. Edited again. Could have missed some of the suggested changes though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In GOT we trust
PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan 2013 1:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
I thought this might fit in well here. It might give you a few extra ideas, Scooby.

http://www.focloir.ie/en/dictionary/ei/get_1?q=got

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In GOT we trust
PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan 2013 4:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
Quote:
díom cé chaoi a d’éirigh liom.


can you also say "cé(n) chaoi ar éirigh liom" in Connemara?

Quote:
Bhí mé i dtrioblóid. Bíonn sí de shíor ag iarraidh locht a fháil orm. Cén fáth nach féidir linn réiteach lena chéile?


I'd say "réiteach le chéile"

Quote:
Ní thuigim é (ar chorr ar bith)!


chor has only one r in this case (corr does exist but it's a different word)

Quote:
Gabhfaidh mé amach nuair a bheas m’obair baile críochnaithe agam.


is there a difference between obair bhaile and obair baile in Connemara? I learnt there was a difference (homework vs housework) but is it true in the Gaeltacht?

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In GOT we trust
PostPosted: Thu 24 Jan 2013 1:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1581
I forgot that, at the last Deireadh Seachtaine Gaeltachta here in SF, one of the exercises we did was about the various ways to express "get" in Irish. Here is what was in the exercise, with a few modificaitons by me to help the flow:

I got up out of bed.
D’éirigh mé as an leaba.

I got dressed.
Chuir mé orm mo chuid éadaí. / Ghléas mé mé féin.

I got out of the house at eight o’clock.
[D’fhág mé an teach / D’imigh mé ón teach / D’éirigh liom an teach a fhágáil] ar a hocht a chlog.

I got on the bus.
Chuaigh mé ar an mbus.

I got sick.
D’éirigh mé tinn.

I thought I had gotten a cold.
Shil mé gur tháinig slaghdán orm.

I got worse.
D’aisig mé. / D’éirigh mé níos measa.

The illness got worse.
D’éirigh an tinneas níos measa. / Chuaigh an tinneas in olcas.

I got off.
Chuir mé amach. / Chaith mé suas. / Chaith mé aníos.

I got off the bus.
[Thuirling / D’imigh] mé den bhus. / D'fhág mé an bus.

I got better later on.
Tháinig biseach orm níos déanaí.

I got lost.
Chaill mé mo shlí. / Chuaigh mé amú.

I got a shock when I got to school.
Baineadh [geit / preab] asam nuair a shroich mé an scoil.

I couldn’t get over the gate being locked.
Ní fhéadfainn creidiúint go raibh an geata faoi ghlas.

I couldn’t get over the gate!
Ní raibh mé in ann gabháil thar an ngeata!

I got my mobile phone out.
Thóg mé m’fhón póca amach.

I wasn’t able to [get in touch with / get through to] my teacher.
Ní raibh mé in ann glao gúthán a dhéanamh ar mo mhúinteoir.
Níor éirigh mé glao gúthán a dhéanamh ar mo mhúinteoir.

I got in contact with the school secretary.
[Rinne mé teagmháil / Chuaigh mé i dteagmháil] le rúnaí na scoile.

I found it difficult to get my meaning across.
Ba deacair dom mé féin a chur in iúl.

How did she ever get to be a secretary?
Conas a éirí leí a bheith ina rúnaí?

I got inside five minutes later.
D’éirigh liom dul isteach cúig nóiméad ina dhiaidh sin.

My mobile phone got stolen.
Goideadh m’fhón póca.

The thief’s punch got me on the side of the head.
Bhuail soc an ghadaí mé ar thaobh mo chinn.

The thief got away.
D’éalaigh an gadaí.

It will be hard for me to get over the loss.
Beidh cumha orm a mhair in a dhiaidh an caille.

It really does get me down.
Cuireann sé gruaim orm ceart go leor.

I got wind of who it was.
[Chuala mé / Dúradh liom] cé a bhí ann.

He won’t get away with it!
Ní éirifidh sé riamh!

I finally got home safe and sound.
Chríochnaigh mé slán sábháilte abhaile faoi dheireadh.

When I got home, my Mam asked how I got on.
Nuair a tháinig/d’fhill mé abhaile, d’fhiafraigh mo Mham díom conas a d’éirigh liom.

I told her that I got into trouble.
Dúirt mé leí go raibh mé i dtrioblóid.

I told her: “I’ll get my own back on that thief when I get round to it.”
Dúirt mé leí: “Imreoidh mé díoltas ar an ngadaí sin in am is i dtráth.”

Perhaps the drink will get him.
B’fhéidir go mbeidh an t’ól a scríosfidh é.

Mam said to me: “What has gotten into you?
Dúirt Mam liom: “Cad é atá tharla leat?

Get a bit of sense! Get out of my sight!”
Bíodh splonc céille agat! Amach as m’adharc leat!”

She’s always trying to get at me.
Bíonn sí de shíor ag iarraidh [locht a fháil / cur isteach] orm.

I’m usually good at getting around her.
Faighim lamha uachtara uirthi de gnáth.

Why can’t we get along now?
Cén fáth nach féidir linn réiteach lena chéile anois?

I [just] don’t get it!
Ní thuigim é [in aon chor]!

I’m going to get on with things.
Táim féin chun dul ar aghaidh le cúrsaí.

I need to get a life.
Tá orm rud éigin a dhéanamh le mo shaol.

I’ll get out of the house when I get my homework finished.
Imeoidh mé liom as an teach nuair a bheidh m’obair bhaile críochnaithe agam.

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In GOT we trust
PostPosted: Thu 24 Jan 2013 1:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
CaoimhínSF wrote:
I got off.Chuir mé amach. / Chaith mé suas. / Chaith mé aníos.
'I got off' meant something entirely different when I was a teenager. It meant snogging someone. I think they 'meet' these days! I feel ooooooold.....

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 815 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group