It is currently Thu 19 Sep 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Fri 31 May 2024 11:28 pm 

Modern speakers don't have the richness of the Irish of previous speakers. As I showed, you have to go into the birth cohorts by age to work out what breith-ghrúpa or age cohort "native Gaeltacht speakers" belong to and then proceed from there. Honestly, in a PhD viva voce, "I'm from Co. Cork" would not suffice as a thesis defence at all...

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jun 2024 12:19 am 

djwebb2021 wrote:
Modern speakers don't have the richness of the Irish of previous speakers. As I showed, you have to go into the birth cohorts by age to work out what breith-ghrúpa or age cohort "native Gaeltacht speakers" belong to and then proceed from there. Honestly, in a PhD viva voce, "I'm from Co. Cork" would not suffice as a thesis defence at all...

That's the second time you've said something like that to me. I'm surprised you would express any interest in a PhD viva. Given you've also suggested that all academics are part of some insidious plot to force the use of the caighdeán oifigiúil, and nothing they say can be trusted given that agenda, I'd suspect you'd have no value at all on PhDs or the process of getting one.

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jun 2024 3:49 pm 

Hey guys... I just want to say that as a complete scrub in learning Irish, i'm very grateful for both of you. You guys are so sharp on your Irish that you have the luxury of contemplating matters such as whether bhur or úr is correct.

But I suspect that even Irish in a weakened state is more beautiful than 99% of the languages out there. I suspect that through the oppression of the Irish language by the catholic church and education system back in the 1800's (and perhaps before that?) the true beauty of the completely pure Irish language may be lost forever.

I encourage you guys to find what common ground you do have in appreciating the Irish language, and become allies in the cause to spread your knowledge to the world. 99% of people who set off learning Irish will never get to the level of precision where you hold your opposing viewpoints, but rather are going to be interested in the broad brush-strokes of the this language that is so beautiful that even in it's fallen state, in this fallen world, people are beginning to notice with renewed interest.

Ar son na hÉireann!

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jun 2024 5:42 pm 

msv133 wrote:
Hey guys... I just want to say that as a complete scrub in learning Irish, i'm very grateful for both of you. You guys are so sharp on your Irish that you have the luxury of contemplating matters such as whether bhur or úr is correct.

But I suspect that even Irish in a weakened state is more beautiful than 99% of the languages out there. I suspect that through the oppression of the Irish language by the catholic church and education system back in the 1800's (and perhaps before that?) the true beauty of the completely pure Irish language may be lost forever.

I encourage you guys to find what common ground you do have in appreciating the Irish language, and become allies in the cause to spread your knowledge to the world. 99% of people who set off learning Irish will never get to the level of precision where you hold your opposing viewpoints, but rather are going to be interested in the broad brush-strokes of the this language that is so beautiful that even in it's fallen state, in this fallen world, people are beginning to notice with renewed interest.

Ar son na hÉireann!

It's very refreshing to see such a positive attitude about learning Irish. All the best of luck with your studies.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2