It is currently Fri 18 Oct 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue 15 Aug 2023 9:18 am 

Hi - nordy here with only basic knowledge. I am wondering what the correct translation is for the word 'choose'? As in you must choose - positive framing - choose your path. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue 15 Aug 2023 9:36 am 

KezzaD wrote:
Hi - nordy here with only basic knowledge. I am wondering what the correct translation is for the word 'choose'? As in you must choose - positive framing - choose your path. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thanks for giving context. It makes the job a little easier.

One way to say "choose" in the context you want is "roghnaigh". For now, you'd have to give us an idea how you want to use it.
As an example, say you want the phrase "Choose your path" for a slogan. "Path" can take on various forms depending on a few nuances and dialect. "Bealach" is one word for it; "slí" is another.

So I will venture "Rognaigh do bhealach/shlí" (for one person); "Rognaígí . . ." (for more than one person).

There are undoubtedly other ways to express this so wait for more input.

Cheers,

Tim

PostPosted: Tue 15 Aug 2023 1:08 pm 

tiomluasocein wrote:
KezzaD wrote:

Thanks for giving context. It makes the job a little easier.

I strongly second this!

I'll add that for "choose" as a standalone order, you can also say déan rogha with sense "make a choice" or caithfidh tú rogha a dhéanamh, "you must make a choice". If you want to specify what's being chosen and use this framing you can say caithfidh tú bealach/slí a roghnú, "you must choose a path/way".

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug 2023 7:44 am 

Thanks so much for the replies.

The context is where you are wavering between 2 decisions - so you say to yourself choose. I think from what you're both saying it would be roghnaigh as a standalone word for choose or déan rogha as make a choice. Is that right?

It's intended to be woven into an artwork as a motivator kind of thing......so for example you're sitting on the sofa knowing you need to go for a walk but you need a kick up the arse to remind you that you have to choose :D . Hope that makes sense and thanks again for the help!

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug 2023 8:52 am 

I agree with Ade’s suggestions, déan rogha being the simplest version and adding more if you think that’s what you want, that is “You must . . .”

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug 2023 10:50 am 

Thanks for the help!