It is currently Tue 16 Apr 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan 2019 6:11 pm 

vaerov wrote:
I have another question. This one is a bit complicated (at least to me). I need a character's Irish surname to have the meaning of "beloved." Is there an Irish surname that roughly translates to "beloved," or might one be made up and still sound authentic? The surname would exist in the 16th Century Ulster and would belong to one of the chieftains, so it would also be a clan name. I've been looking all over the internet, and the closest I've come to is " O'Ghrá," although I am sure this sounds very wrong to Irish speakers! :D Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ó hIonmhaineáin, or in modern spelling Ó hIonúineáin, anglicized Noonan
But this is a Munster name.
Ó hIonmhaine / Ó hIonúine is an alternative version

Mac Ionmhain / Mac Ionúin
This is an Ulster (and Scottish) name, anlicized McKinnon, or Love

All these names are based on the adjective ionúin = beloved, dear (old spelling ionmhain) or the abstract noun ionúine (ionmhaine) = dearness, affection.

Ó Cárthaigh and Ó Searcaigh, which mean "descendant of Cárthach", resp. "of Searcach", both meaning originally "loving", now more prominent in Ó Searcaigh because there's still the noun searc = love
Both are Ulster (and Connacht) names.

Mac Cárthaigh is a Munster name.

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan 2019 10:08 pm 

Labhrás wrote:
vaerov wrote:
I have another question. This one is a bit complicated (at least to me). I need a character's Irish surname to have the meaning of "beloved." Is there an Irish surname that roughly translates to "beloved," or might one be made up and still sound authentic? The surname would exist in the 16th Century Ulster and would belong to one of the chieftains, so it would also be a clan name. I've been looking all over the internet, and the closest I've come to is " O'Ghrá," although I am sure this sounds very wrong to Irish speakers! :D Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ó hIonmhaineáin, or in modern spelling Ó hIonúineáin, anglicized Noonan
But this is a Munster name.
Ó hIonmhaine / Ó hIonúine is an alternative version

Mac Ionmhain / Mac Ionúin
This is an Ulster (and Scottish) name, anlicized McKinnon, or Love

All these names are based on the adjective ionúin = beloved, dear (old spelling ionmhain) or the abstract noun ionúine (ionmhaine) = dearness, affection.

Ó Cárthaigh and Ó Searcaigh, which mean "descendant of Cárthach", resp. "of Searcach", both meaning originally "loving", now more prominent in Ó Searcaigh because there's still the noun searc = love
Both are Ulster (and Connacht) names.

Mac Cárthaigh is a Munster name.

This is fantastic! Thank you so much once again!

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jan 2019 3:42 am 

Labhrás wrote:
Niamh Chinn-Óir a thugtar uirthi (mar gur bean a bhí inti)

Nílim cinnte fé sin. Dar léi féin, "Niamh Cinn Óir, is é m'ainm...", nó dar leis an leabhar seo (leathanach 238, vearsa a 3) leis an Ossianic Society.

Labhrás wrote:
And, though cailín is a masculine word, in vocative case lenition is necessary as well:

A Cháit, a chailín chinn-óir!

(cinn-óir = "head-of-gold", golden headed)

I've learned something new here. :GRMA:

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jan 2019 5:16 pm 

Ade wrote:
Labhrás wrote:

Nílim cinnte fé sin. Dar léi féin, "Niamh Cinn Óir, is é m'ainm...", nó dar leis an leabhar seo (leathanach 238, vearsa a 3) leis an Ossianic Society.

Dar léi féin ... ;)

In "Leabhar Filidheachta Fá Choinne na Scoil" (1909) atá "Chinn-óir" séimhithe:
http://corpas.ria.ie/index.php?fsg_word=chinn-óir&fsg_class=W&fsg_pos=N&fsg_function=10
In "Gaethe Gréine" (1920) "Chinnóir" chomh maith
http://corpas.ria.ie/index.php?fsg_word=chinnóir&fsg_class=W&fsg_pos=N&fsg_pp=Both&fsg_years=1600-1926&fsg_function=10
Agus 63 sampla le "Niamh Chinn Óir" (gan fleiscín) in "corpas.focloir.ie"
http://focloir.sketchengine.co.uk/auth/ ... =%3Ddoc.id
(Níl ann ach cúig shampla gan séimhiú)

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan 2019 12:32 am 

Labhrás wrote:
Ade wrote:
Labhrás wrote:

Dar léi féin ... ;)

In "Leabhar Filidheachta Fá Choinne na Scoil" (1909) atá "Chinn-óir" séimhithe:
http://corpas.ria.ie/index.php?fsg_word=chinn-óir&fsg_class=W&fsg_pos=N&fsg_function=10
In "Gaethe Gréine" (1920) "Chinnóir" chomh maith
http://corpas.ria.ie/index.php?fsg_word=chinnóir&fsg_class=W&fsg_pos=N&fsg_pp=Both&fsg_years=1600-1926&fsg_function=10
Agus 63 sampla le "Niamh Chinn Óir" (gan fleiscín) in "corpas.focloir.ie"
http://focloir.sketchengine.co.uk/auth/ ... =%3Ddoc.id
(Níl ann ach cúig shampla gan séimhiú)

I've got a few more, if that's alright:

1. "When I ride into battle, it is always to win." The part that needs to be in Irish is "When I ride into battle..."
2. "Come back to me, my love." I'd like to use the endearment "a rún" for "my love," if it's appropriate in the context (between lovers).

I also have a few quick questions:
1. Is the endearment "a leanbh" appropriate between a parent and a child, as well as between lovers? Is it something similar to "my darling?"
2. What about "a stor" or "mo stoirín?" Is it okay for friends as well as lovers, or only lovers?
3. How does “a rúnsearc" differ from "a rún?"

Again, thank you so very much for any insight!! :GRMA:

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan 2019 8:25 pm 

vaerov wrote:
1. Is the endearment "a leanbh" appropriate between a parent and a child, as well as between lovers? Is it something similar to "my darling?"

No, it means my child in the literal sense. It wouldn't be used between lovers that I know of.

vaerov wrote:
2. What about "a stor" or "mo stoirín?" Is it okay for friends as well as lovers, or only lovers?

Just lovers, not friends. This one you could use with a child, though. Be aware, again, of the difference between a and mo. The former is to address the person, the latter is possessive of the person. So, if you're talking to the person and calling them this endearment you would use a stór and a stóirín. Note the length mark over the "o" in both stór and stóirín.

vaerov wrote:

It's a different word. It's like the difference between calling someone my sweet and my sweetheart.

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan 2019 11:34 pm 

Ade wrote:
vaerov wrote:

No, it means my child in the literal sense. It wouldn't be used between lovers that I know of.

vaerov wrote:

Just lovers, not friends. This one you could use with a child, though. Be aware, again, of the difference between a and mo. The former is to address the person, the latter is possessive of the person. So, if you're talking to the person and calling them this endearment you would use a stór and a stóirín. Note the length mark over the "o" in both stór and stóirín.

vaerov wrote:

It's a different word. It's like the difference between calling someone my sweet and my sweetheart.

Thank you so much! Really appreciate it!

PostPosted: Tue 26 Feb 2019 9:57 pm 

Three more phrases I'd love a little help with! ;)

1. When addressing a person, it is a mhuirnín or mo mhuirnín?
2. What is the proper way to say "I love you" to one's beloved? Is it Tá grá agam duit?
3. How would you say "Take me home."

Thanks again!!! :wave:

PostPosted: Tue 26 Feb 2019 10:25 pm 

vaerov wrote:

a mhuirnín
There's a need to use the particle "a" in addressing. And this particle contradicts the use of "mo"
vaerov wrote:
2. What is the proper way to say "I love you" to one's beloved? Is it Tá grá agam duit?

Yes
vaerov wrote:

Tabhair abhaile mé.

PostPosted: Tue 26 Feb 2019 11:11 pm 

Labhrás wrote:
vaerov wrote:

a mhuirnín
There's a need to use the particle "a" in addressing. And this particle contradicts the use of "mo"
vaerov wrote:

Yes
vaerov wrote:

Tabhair abhaile mé.

Thanks so much, Labhrás! :GRMA:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next