It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: My Kid's Names in Gaelic
PostPosted: Thu 28 Jun 2018 1:41 pm 

Hi, I would like to get my Kid's names translated to Gaelic? Would anyone mind helping me? Iv'e been trying for ages.
My son's name is Declan and my daughter's name is Isla

Thank you so much!

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jun 2018 11:50 pm 

jinky75 wrote:
Hi, I would like to get my Kid's names translated to Gaelic? Would anyone mind helping me? Iv'e been trying for ages.
My son's name is Declan and my daughter's name is Isla

Thank you so much!

Declan is a Gaelic name already. It is used more in Ireland than Scotland, in my experience, and the Irish form of the name is Déaglán. With the usual differences between Irish and Scottish Gaelic spelling, I suspect that the Scottish spelling would be Deuglàn or Deaglàn, but I'm not certain of that.

I've never seen Isla as a given name. I assume that it is drawn from the name of one of the Hebrides islands off the west coast of Scotland, though the island's name is spelled Islay in English. The Scottish Gaelic form of the name is Ìle, and it is pronounced "EYE-luh" (whether in English or Gaelic). The origin of the name is unknown, and it may be pre-Celtic. If you just want a phonetic way to spell the name Isla in Irish or Scottish Gaelic, then you could use Iosla in either language.

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul 2018 6:55 pm 

CaoimhínSF wrote:
Declan is a Gaelic name already. It is used more in Ireland than Scotland, in my experience, and the Irish form of the name is Déaglán. With the usual differences between Irish and Scottish Gaelic spelling, I suspect that the Scottish spelling would be Deuglàn or Deaglàn, but I'm not certain of that.

AFAIK Scottish Gaelic shortens all non-stressed (= non-initial) vowels in native words¹, so you will find a grave accent only on the first vowel, thus I’d expect Deuglan.

¹ Wiki Akerbeltz claims: It follows that all vowels in second and subsequent syllables are unstressed. In Scottish Gaelic, long vowels never occur unstressed

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec 2018 8:24 am 

This article is very good. I like to read a lot

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec 2018 6:03 pm 

Quote:
The Scottish Gaelic form of the name is Ìle, and it is pronounced "EYE-luh" (whether in English or Gaelic).

are you sure?
So far I've only heard it pronounced "EE-luh" in Gaelic...

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec 2018 8:43 pm 

There's the well-known Scots singer Isla Saint Clair and her first name is indeed pronounced - EYE-luh. I've no idea whether it comes from the Gaelic or not, though obviously Íle wouldn't be pronounced the same way.

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2018 11:44 pm 

Quote:
are you sure?
So far I've only heard it pronounced "EE-luh" in Gaelic...

You could be right, Lughaidh. I've actually only heard it pronounced once by a Gaelic speaker, who may or may not have known the correct pronunciation, and might have been influenced by the pronunciation of Islay.

PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec 2018 12:42 pm 

These two have obviously got it right -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=47HQ40Mg0PQ

He hasn't -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-Z9Ve-jQvw

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan 2019 10:13 am 

Unfortunately, unlike Irish :D , there aren't many Gaelic speakers on Forvo. The whole word isn't pronounced but the single letter is. So this may help. As I don't speak Gaelic I don't know if this is right or wrong.

https://forvo.com/word/ì/#gd

EDIT: The link breaks because of the accented letter so you'll have to copy and paste it in.