It is currently Tue 16 Apr 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov 2017 10:37 pm 

Fiddlestix wrote:
**UPDATED** The Hanging Gale Episode 1 Irish Language Clips

#1 The Garden
It sounds like he’s mumbling a blessing over the freshly planted potatoes.
#1: “Mo ghrá, mo chroí, mo chairaid” (My love, my heart, my friend”) {2}

#2 The Mob
2.A: “anseo!” (Here!) {1)
”Fán amach uaidh!” (Stay out of it/Stay away from him) {2}
“Teigh ar ais!” (Get Back!) {2}
“Fan ansin! (Stay there!) {2}

2.B: “Sin é anois” (That’s it now) {2}
2.C: “Beidh sé a’ ghoil i bhfad timpeall, a’ ghoil i bhad timpeall na tíre” (He will be going all around, all around the country) {3}
2.D: “Dé Luain” (Monday) {2}
2.E: “Íochtaigh ár gcíos” or “Isligh ár gcíos.” (Lower our rent) {1}
“Tabhair cabhair dúinn Isligh an cíos” (Help us with the rent) {1}

#3 Irish Names.
3.A: Brian Maher {1}
3.B: Boyle MacFadden {2}
3.C: Pat Gallaher {2}
3.D: Joe Gallaher {2}
3.E: The O’Donnells {2}
3.F: John Duffy {2}
3.G: Fitheal O’Loughrey {1}
3.H: Kelly ???? The Kellys at Greilach {1}

#4 Maeve sees Michael
#4: “Oh, Micín” (On, Mikey) {1}

#5 Bringing Michael Home
5.A: “Go ndéana
Go ndíona Dia trocaire ar anam na marbh. (May God _________ the soul of the dead.
Go ndíona Dia trocaire orainn go lear” (May God have mercy on us all.) {2}

5.B: “mo Mhaicín” (Oh, my little son) {1}
5.C: “Chonaic mé… inńe Éirinn aobhinn,
ach ó-ó-ó, agus ó, ó, no. go leor" _____”
"agus é áí a Mhuire”

5.D: “Fág slán leis na sleibhte 's na habhainnte” (Take leave of the mountains and the rivers) {1}
5.E: “Fág slán leis an trá 's an fharraige” (Take leave of the beach and the sea) {1}
5.F: “Fág slán leis na crainn 's na blathanna san aer” (Take leave of the tree and the blossoms in the air) {2}
5.G: “Siúl trasna an tuiscint” (Walk beyond understanding) {1}
5.H: “Siúl go himeall an domhain” (Walk to the edge of the earth) {1}
5.I: “Slán, a ghrá” (Goodbye, my love) {1}
5.J: “Teigh go thaobh [na] croiche” (Go to the side of the cross) {1}

After listening to it too many times to remember, I think 3G might actually be two different people. He might simply be using last names, if there is only one man or head of household by that name. He might be saying, “Friel, Loughrey.” I looked up surnames and I found O’Frighil and O’Loughrey, spelled in a few variations. Is the “O’” in a surname ever dropped in Irish conversation?

I also found a surname “Greilach.” I thought maybe “Kelliza Greilach,” but thought that would just be stupid, but “Kellys at Greilach” might be something. I searched for “Greilach, Ireland and the first result was “Chelsea Greilach.” Could it be some variation of Chelsea, Kelisa or something?

Since I’ve gotten through about eighteen minutes of the first episode, I think my numbering system is going to get more confusing than it already is. I think it will be easier to use the numbering system the subtitling software assigns each subtitle. I will also make sure the numbers can be seen when watching the entire episode with the subtitles so any mistakes can be easily reported. Once a reasonable consensus has been reached about the accuracy of the completed episodes, I will then make two subtitle files available; one with the numbers showing and one without. It’ll become more clear once I make the changes. Please be patient, as this is the first time I have done this

Episode three is now uploaded and available to watch. So here are links to all three:
The Hanging Gale Episode 1
The Hanging Gale Episode 2
The Hanging Gale Episode 3

Last edited by Fiddlestix on Mon 06 Nov 2017 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon 06 Nov 2017 1:11 am 

Fiddlestix wrote:
2.C: “Beidh sé a’ ghoil i bhfad timpeall, a’ ghoil i bhad timpeall na tíre” (He will be going all around, all around the country) {3}

Beidh sé ag gabháil timpeall, beidh sé ag gabháil timpeall na tithe.
He will be going around, he will be going around to the houses.

Fiddlestix wrote:
Go ndíona Dia trocaire ar anam na marbh. (May God _________ the soul of the dead.
Go ndíona Dia trocaire orainn go lear”

Go ndéana (standard spelling) Dia trocaire ar anam na marbh. / May God have mercy on the souls of the death.
Go ndéana Dia trocaire orainn go léir. / May God have mercy on us all.

Fiddlestix wrote:
5.C: “Chonaic mé… inńe Éirinn aobhinn,
ach ó-ó-ó, agus ó, ó, no. go leor" _____”
"agus é áí a Mhuire”

Maybe Redwolf is familiar with this song.

Fiddlestix wrote:
Episode three is now uploaded and available to watch. So here are links to all three:
The Hanging Gale Episode 1
The Hanging Gale Episode 2
The Hanging Gale Episode 3

Do you have timecodes for the Irish bits?

PostPosted: Mon 06 Nov 2017 1:27 am 

Bríd Mhór wrote:
Do you have timecodes for the Irish bits?

I'm working on it. ;)

PostPosted: Mon 06 Nov 2017 3:51 am 

Well I for one am eager to see it because my two favorite things are listening comprehension and dictations!!!!

PostPosted: Mon 06 Nov 2017 5:14 am 

Cúmhaí wrote:
Well I for one am eager to see it because my two favorite things are listening comprehension and dictations!!!!
If you watch the first episode and turn on closed captioning, via the button on the bottom of the player, you can see some of it. I uploaded what I have done so far with a bunch of the Irish translations, from the ongoing discussion here, included. I did it just to see if I could make it work.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Nov 2017 11:01 pm 

All four episodes are now on my Vimeo page. The first episode has some of the subtitling done already.

The Hanging Gale Complete Four Part Series.

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov 2017 12:45 am 

Are you planning to make clips with just the Irish bits? Or if that is too much a list of minutes where Irish is?

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec 2017 3:36 pm 

Fiddlestix wrote:
If you have not seen The Hanging Gale, you can watch it on one of my Vimeo accounts for free. You can even download it, if you like. There are no popups or spam or anything weird like that.
https://vimeo.com/user73019396

There are four episodes. The first one has already been uploaded. I will be uploading one each week until they are all uploaded. They will not have subtitles at first. Once all of the Irish has been translated and I finish subtitling all four episodes, I will re upload them with the Irish subtitles included. I will also provide links to download the full English .srt subtitle files.

Sincerely and respectfully,
Fiddlestix H. McWhiskers

Please, could you provide links to download the full English .srt subtitle files? I'm doing a project about Irish history and Great Famine and I'd like to see The Hanging Gale to learn about it.

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec 2017 6:11 pm 

Collins wrote:
Please, could you provide links to download the full English .srt subtitle files? I'm doing a project about Irish history and Great Famine and I'd like to see The Hanging Gale to learn about it.
That is the whole purpose of this thread. I searched the internet for english subtitles of the series and found that none exist; not even with the purchased DVD set. So, with the help of the people here, I'm in the process of making them. I had to slow down a bit in the last few weeks because my workload in my antique restoration business has increased for the holidays. As I finish each episode, I will provide links to the srt files. It's just going to be a little while.

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar 2018 2:59 am 

Cúmhaí wrote:
Are you planning to make clips with just the Irish bits? Or if that is too much a list of minutes where Irish is?
I've just uploaded episode #1 to YouTube with the 95% completed subtitles. The time codes are in the description below the video. Just click on the blue time code and it will take you right to the individual Irish bits. Be sure to turn on the subtitles by clicking the CC (closed captioning) button below the video.
Here's episode #1

Collins wrote:
You should be able to download the .srt file at this link here. If that doesn't work, let me know.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next