It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 726 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 73  Next
PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct 2016 9:59 pm 

Sualannach wrote:
CaoimhínSF wrote:
Sé do bheatha, a Sheáin!
Rugadh seanathair m'athar i Sualainn (sílim go rugadh é i nDalarna), ach phós sé bean Éireannach i Nua Eabhrach, a bhí Gaeilge aici.

Dia duit, a ChaoimhínSF!

An bhfuil tú i do chónaí i Stáit Aontaithe Mheiriceá?

...agus as Béarla: My paternal grandfather's maternal grandmother was born in Svartnäs parish in Dalarna.

Tá mé i mo chónaí i San Francisco.

I still haven't figured out where in Dalarna my great-grandfather's paternal line originated, but my Y-DNA is apparently from there. I had DNA testing done, and my matches center on Dalarna and the area just across the border in Norway. I had thought my great-grandfather was born in Norway, and it's possible that he was, but perhaps near the Swedish border, and was of part-Swedish ancestry.

My mother's side is all from County Mayo (with some branches being of Ulster origin), and all three of my father's other grandparents were also born in Ireland, so the rest of my DNA came out 100% "British Isles". Interestingly, though, they did a DNA study in Mayo and Galway just a couple of years ago and it seems that about 12% of the men in Mayo share my Scandinavian Y-DNA Haplogroup, R1a, apparently due to past intermarriage with Norsemen and/or Normans, whereas some 80-90% of Irish men overall are R1b -- the highest concentration of R1b in Europe (and thus the world), after the Basque country.

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct 2016 9:27 am 

Dia dhaoibh, a chairde. Is Polannach mé agus mé as an Pholainn. Tá cónaí orm i bPoznań, An Pholainn Mór (Greater Poland Voivodeship). Tá súim agam i dteangachaibh ndifriúla, agus foghlaimím Gaelainn le haon bhlian amháin anois. Tugaim iarracht ar léamh téacsanna Gaelacha, tá “Sliabh na mBan bhFionn” léite agam, agus táim ag léamh “Shéadna” anois, táid nótaí an Loin Dhuibh an-úsáideach. :)

Is trua nach bhfuilim in ann caint Gaelainne do thuscint fós – ní fhéadaim ach ceann scríofa do thuiscint le cúnamh na bhfoclóirí fós.

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct 2016 7:11 pm 

silmeth wrote:
Dia dhaoibh, a chairde. Is Polannach mé agus mé as an Pholainn. Tá cónaí orm i bPoznań, An Pholainn Mór (Greater Poland Voivodeship). Tá súim agam i dteangachaibh ndifriúla, agus foghlaimím Gaelainn le haon bhlian amháin anois. Tugaim iarracht ar léamh téacsanna Gaelacha, tá “Sliabh na mBan bhFionn” léite agam, agus táim ag léamh “Shéadna” anois, táid nótaí an Loin Dhuibh an-úsáideach. :)

Is trua nach bhfuilim in ann caint Gaelainne do thuscint fós – ní fhéadaim ach ceann scríofa do thuiscint le cúnamh na bhfoclóirí fós.

An ndearna tú staidéar riamh ar an Esperanto??

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct 2016 8:05 pm 

Ní dhein. Ní duine den lucht leanúna esperanto mise. Ach úsáideoir foraim Pholainnigh na gconlangers (conlaingeoirí? ;-)) is ea mé. Cad a thug duit an cheist sin a chur dom? :)

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct 2016 9:58 pm 

silmeth wrote:
Ní dhein. Ní duine den lucht leanúna esperanto mise. Ach úsáideoir foraim Pholainnigh na gconlangers (conlaingeoirí? ;-)) is ea mé. Cad a thug duit an cheist sin a chur dom? :)

Chun an fhírinne a rá tá aithne agam ar pholannach agus shíl mé gur éisean thú
Ach go ginearálta bíonn tóir mhór ar an Esperanto i bPolainn, go bhfios dom... Nach mbíonn?
Cén fáth nach bhfuil suim agatsa ann? Nach duine den lucht faiseanta thú?

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct 2016 5:19 pm 

Cúmhaí wrote:
Ach go ginearálta bíonn tóir mhór ar an Esperanto i bPolainn, go bhfios dom... Nach mbíonn?

Ní fheadar, ach bhí Esperanto cruthaithe sa Pholainn. B’fhéidir go síleann daoine gur linne é – tá tuairim acu go bhfuil siad ceangailte leis – agus mar sin tá suim acu ann?

Cúmhaí wrote:
Cén fáth nach bhfuil suim agatsa ann? Nach duine den lucht faiseanta thú?

Ní teanga chumtha ró-mhaith é, is measc teangacha gan baint acu le chéile Esperanto, “frankensteinian language” a dúirt fear éigin. Mar sin ní maith liom é. ;-)

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct 2016 8:24 pm 

Bhuel mar sin céad míle fáilte romhat chuig an bhfóram seo!
Is fearr an Ghaeilge ná an tEsperanto go huile & go hiomlán :-)

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2017 6:36 pm 

Hi there.

I joined for a few reasons. One is that my boyfriend and I have a vested interest in living in Ireland one day. We each have Irish grandparents, who immigrated to Canada (him) and Australia (me). We're also in the middle of writing a fantasy story and one of the cultures takes inspiration from Ireland. In the form of aesthetics, names and general culture (It's designed for an English speaking audience at the end of the day, so I'm not going to go heavy with any translations.) I already have an interest in learning other languages and Irish makes sense to start with given it'll provide a much better understanding for my story. I also read some statistics on Irish and it's upsetting that it's frequency in use is declining because it's such a nice language.

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan 2017 11:07 am 

I’m just going to have a go, mistakes and all. I hope someone will point out where I’ve gone wrong, and then I’ll learn something. If my Irish is embarrassing gobbledegook, the English is below.

Dia daoibh, a chairde,
Is mise Sarah. Tá mé i mo chónai le mo pháirtí i coill gar do Kyogle, NSW, an Astráil. Fásaimid ár mbia féin, agus scríobhaim. Agus anois, foghlaím Gaeilge.
Thosaigh mé ag foghlaim na Gaeilge sé mhí ó shin mar tá sinsear Éireannach agam, agus ba mhaith liom a labhairt mo theanga féin.

Hello friends,
I’m Sarah. I live with my partner in a forest near Kyogle, NSW, Australia. We grow our own food, and I write. And now, I learn Irish.
I started learning Irish 6 months ago because I have Irish ancestors and I would like to speak my own language.

Mise le meas,
Sarah.

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jan 2017 9:31 pm 

Hi,

I've started learning Irish several times over the last few years. I'm starting again but, one of the biggest stumbling blocks for me is a lack of local speakers (I'm sure this is the same issue others have too) and, longer-term, no real idea how I'll use the language once I learn it.

However, I figure if I stick with it, eventually I'll find a use (even if it's just speaking with others on Skype - though I'd like to start a local meetup in my area once I'm a bit proficient).

I've also ordered The Poor Mouth in both Irish and English as, I've supplemented my learning of other languages in a similar fashion and, I'm hoping it will help with Irish too once I've got more of a vocabulary established.

I'm fascinated with the idea that learning new languages affects the way our brains think and process data. Irish is definitely one of the most atypical languages I've studied so far and I can't wait to start being able to converse in it - even if it's halting and stilted at first.

I'm not usually super out-going and tend not to participate in forums actively but, I'm going to try to fight my natural tendencies and be an active participant here. I don't know that I'll have any useful input to start with but, I'll do my best to stay engaged without posting useless blather :)

Thanks,
Kelly

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 726 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 73  Next