It is currently Thu 17 Oct 2019 2:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan 2012 6:34 am 

Hi All! I have been looking for a group like this to get some human input into a simple translation. I need a translation in Irish Gaelic and Scottish Gaelic for the words "Harm None" (posted on both Boards). Pretty simple, I know. I just do not want to risk getting this wrong in any way. Can you all help me please? I would be very grateful! Below is the info I have. The concept is that as a nurse and person I will "Harm None." This has been handed down in some belief systems such as Wiccan and even the Hippocratic Oath doctor's take has a version of this. That is what I am using this for...a banner over a stylized Celtic Owl drawn in the method of the Book of Kells by a professional artist. The owl having been a symbol of wisdom, mysticism, healers, and such. It is a lovely tattoo waiting for this final touch. I want it in Irish Gaelic or Scottish Gaelic....whichever is more workable. Also, suggest tradiional font etc.

God Bless and thank you all! The generosity you all show in giving your time is boundless!!!!!
Marla

Possible:
Ná déan dochar do dhuine ar bith! [If said to one person]
Ná déanaigí dochar do dhuine ar bith! [If said to more than one person]

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan 2012 2:56 am 

marlita wrote:
Hi All! I have been looking for a group like this to get some human input into a simple translation. I need a translation in Irish Gaelic and Scottish Gaelic for the words "Harm None" (posted on both Boards). Pretty simple, I know. I just do not want to risk getting this wrong in any way. Can you all help me please? I would be very grateful! Below is the info I have. The concept is that as a nurse and person I will "Harm None." This has been handed down in some belief systems such as Wiccan and even the Hippocratic Oath doctor's take has a version of this. That is what I am using this for...a banner over a stylized Celtic Owl drawn in the method of the Book of Kells by a professional artist. The owl having been a symbol of wisdom, mysticism, healers, and such. It is a lovely tattoo waiting for this final touch. I want it in Irish Gaelic or Scottish Gaelic....whichever is more workable. Also, suggest tradiional font etc.

God Bless and thank you all! The generosity you all show in giving your time is boundless!!!!!
Marla

Possible:
Ná déan dochar do dhuine ar bith! [If said to one person]
Ná déanaigí dochar do dhuine ar bith! [If said to more than one person]

Since I gave you that Irish version on the IGTF site, I'll offer you a Scottish Gaelic version (or versions) here. The first set of options below could be used for physical or other types of harm (such as hurting someone's feelings), while the second set would usually refer only to physical harm:

Na ciùrr duine sam bith [If said to one person, informally]
Na ciùrraibh duine sam bith [If said to more than one person, or said formally to one person]
Don't harm anyone

Na goirtich duine sam bith [If said to one person, informally]
Na goirtichibh duine sam bith [If said to more than one person, or said formally to one person]
Don't harm anyone

Note that Irish does not make this formal/informal distinction, although it does make the singular/plural distinction. The choice between the informal and formal forms would be a lot like the choice in French between tu and vous or in German between Du and Sie. As I told you was the case with Irish, if you were speaking live to someone (or a group), you would definitely need to choose the appropriate form, but in slogans, proverbs, tattoos, and the like, the single informal form is often used.

One final note is that Scottish Gaelic uses fewer accents than Irish, and the ones they use flow in the opposite direction from Irish usage. You can see the differences in the words na ciùrr above (no accent in the word "na").

Last edited by CaoimhínSF on Tue 10 Jan 2012 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan 2012 6:16 am 

:clap: Thank you again! I cannot express how much I value your input!

In Peace,
Marla

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan 2012 6:19 am 

:clap: Thank you so much! I cannot express how much I value the time and effort it takes for you to help me. It is amazing and thanks is just not enough for any of you guys!!!!

In Peace,

Marla