It is currently Wed 13 Dec 2017 3:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec 2016 2:33 am 

Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on my family name.

My family name is spelled Michea, but is pronounced like Mackie. I get asked constantly about it and never have an answer. Neither my father nor his father know anything about why it's pronounced that way. It can be frustrating at times, some people assume I can't spell my own name and fix it for me by spelling Michael instead, or add a U to make Micheau and assume I'm french.

I did some digging and was able to find out that my fathers family immigrated to Canada in the early 1800's, and from what I could tell from a census form from near that time they said they came from Scotland. So I assumed that the name was possibly Scottish Gaelic but was never really sure.

Has anyone else heard of this name? Does the pronunciation sound correct for Gaelic or am I completely off on this?

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec 2016 2:43 am 

Isn't it a variation of the name MacKay ? Which is "MacAoidh" in Gaelic...

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec 2016 1:14 pm 

I have no idea, I suppose it could. Whenever I search by my name I never get much information that's useful, never considered it could have been a variation of MacKay or anything similar. I was more focused on why it was pronounced how it is instead of the origin.

Any idea how Mic could come from Mac? As far as I know "I's" are not pronounced like an "A" at all. Also not sure where the H came from either. Although CH is sometimes pronounced like "K", in words like School, Chemist, even Monarch, so I could see how "chea" could be pronounced like "key" but I'm still stuck on the Mic being pronounced Mac.

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec 2016 12:58 am 

Another possibility is that your name is related to the Scottish name Michie, which is often pronounced like Mickie, which could easily have been transmuted into Mackie where your family lived. Here is a brief description of the origin of the name which I found online (at this url: http://forebears.co.uk/surnames/michie), quoting from The Surnames of Scotland (1946) by George Fraser Black:

Quote:
An Aberdeenshire surname found mainly in Strathdon, Glengairn, and Crathie. "The name," says the late Dr. Alexander Fraser of Toronto, "is a local diminutive of Michael, and the family is a sept of the Macdonalds of Keppoch, descending from a Michael Macdonald of that branch. A fairly exhaustive enquiry establishes this fact. In the Aberdeen registers the name and its variants are traced to 1570, before which date Michael MacDonald settled in Aberdeenshire. The chiefship of this sept was in the family of Corryhoul, a place occupied for more than 200 years by them, and now represented by Lieut. -Col. John Forbes Michie, Toronto, who, only three years ago, disposed of the last of his ancestral rights in the old home" (Celt. Mon., XXII, p. 159). John Mychy was tenant of part of Morton, 1473 (Cupar-Angus, I, p. 170). David Mihie had a son baptized in 1606 (Aberdeen Jour. N. & Q., I, p. 99). As forename we have Michy Nycholson, 1446 (Cupar-Angus, I, p. 128)