It is currently Fri 19 Apr 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct 2011 3:03 am 

Hello all!

I would like to get the words/phrase "Peace, Love & Family" tattood around my Celtic cross tattoo that I already have. Seeing as my fiance is Scottish, I wanted to have them in Gaelic, rather than Irish. I am still doing my own research into the matter, but I figured why not ask you guys here who could help me out and save me headaches.

What I've come up with so far, "Sìth, Gràdh & Buinteanas" but I know that those are just dictionary translations (and with what I still remember from learning German) I know dictionary translations are not always the best, or even accurate with what native speakers use.

(I'm also beginning an attempt to learn Gaelic, so any advice on books, computer programs I could use would be appreciated as well!)

Thank you all for your time,

Joey

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct 2011 10:49 pm 

FloridaPanda wrote:
Hello all!

I would like to get the words/phrase "Peace, Love & Family" tattood around my Celtic cross tattoo that I already have. Seeing as my fiance is Scottish, I wanted to have them in Gaelic, rather than Irish. I am still doing my own research into the matter, but I figured why not ask you guys here who could help me out and save me headaches.

What I've come up with so far, "Sìth, Gràdh & Buinteanas" but I know that those are just dictionary translations (and with what I still remember from learning German) I know dictionary translations are not always the best, or even accurate with what native speakers use.

(I'm also beginning an attempt to learn Gaelic, so any advice on books, computer programs I could use would be appreciated as well!)

Thank you all for your time,
Joey

You almost have it right. I can't tell from the font whether you have the accent over the "i" in sìth, so I'm using a larger font below to make it clear:

Sìth, Gràdh, agus Teaghlach

The word you had for family, buinteanas, is used in the sense of "family connections" and would normally be used with other words indicating the person/place to whom/which one is connected. The word teaghlach is a fairly generic term for "family" in Gaelic, although some people may think of it as meaning more the immediate family (that is usually the case in Irish, but less so in Gaelic). If you want to make clear that you mean a broader class of people (the wider family, your "people") you could use muinntir instead. The idea of your "folks" or your "people" can also be conveyed by using càirdean, but that could be ambiguous in such a short phrase, since that can also mean just "friends". The meaning is usually clear from the context, but might not be clear if you were to use it here.

In place of the word agus ("and"), you can also use is or just 's, which are common contractions of agus.