It is currently Tue 16 Apr 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: A Riogain Uasail
PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb 2013 3:00 am 

I have tried to Google this a few times, but I cannot find it for the likes of me!
Would anyone know the words to the song "A Riogain Uasail"? :/
Greatly appreciated :)
Thanks!!

Post subject: Re: A Riogain Uasail
PostPosted: Sat 23 Feb 2013 4:15 am 

Quote:
A Riogain Uasail
I have tried to Google this a few times, but I cannot find it for the likes of me!
Would anyone know the words to the song "A Riogain Uasail"? :/
Greatly appreciated

I've searched for the lyrics as well, with no luck. For future reference, it's often easier to find Irish or Gaelic lyrics searching on Dogpile, which for some reason finds more than Google does in that area. I tried Dogpile, too, but didn't find these lyrics. I'm thinking of ordering the Dual album, in the hope that the lyrics are in the liner notes, but would be interested in knowing whether you already have the CD, so that I know whether that's a worthwhile approach.

I can make out some of the words, but not enough to make real sense, at least not thus far (I'm not a native speaker, or even a fluent non-native). I'm going to try to note down what I can make out, and see where that gets me. If it isn't an embarrassing mess, I'll post it here and one of the 2-3 fluent Gaelic speakers might volunteer to critique it and listen to the song to see whether they can make out the rest.

I read online that the lyrics were written by Seán "Clárach" Mac Domhnaill, the Irish poet who wrote Mo Ghille Mear in the 18th century, and that A Riogain Uasail is a sort of sequel to that song, using the same tune. That makes sense, because the theme is the same and there are some similar turns of phrase.

Editing this to add that I started working on the transcription of the song, and was having problems because some words seemed clearly to be in Irish, rather than Scottish Gaelic (which made me think I was mishearing them). Then it finally hit me that the song is being sung by two singers, one an Irish speaker and one a Scottish Gaelic speaker (which I had already read online), and each sings some verses in her own language.

Last edited by CaoimhínSF on Fri 08 Mar 2013 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb 2013 5:29 am 

Here is a link to the song on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hVFSbqwwwg
As noted elsewhere, verses 1, 3, 4, and 7 are in Scottish Gaelic, and verses 2, 5, 6, and 8 are in Irish.

My original attempts here to reproduce what I was hearing have been deleted as no longer of any use, now that we have the lyrics from the liner notes. I've received my copy of the CD, so I've updated the lyrics here a bit further. I also received the 2011 book of the Clárach's poetry, but it doesn't have A Riogain Uasail in it! The book does, however, have an extensive glossary and a discussion of people and places, which have helped to clear up a few questions.

I've made a few changes to the Irish and Gaelic text, and a number of changes to the translation given in the liner notes. There were a few big translation errors, like the one franc found about Charles vs. George, and a number of smaller ones. There are some words in the Irish and the Gaelic which are either archaic or perhaps dialectical. I was able to find most of those (or something close) in my older dictionaries or in the glossary to the poetry book. There are still a few words or clauses where I'm not clear on the exact meaning or the syntax, though, but in those cases the essential meaning appears to be pretty clear.

A Riogain Uasail shuairc ’s a stòr,
do chridhe ‘s do bhuairte truagh làn bròn,
guidheam gu cruaidh chun an uain an cumhachd,
fo theachd ar cuairt chun a’ bhuachaill’ beò.

Do dheoin an aon-Mhic tiocfaidh thar n-ais,
go treorach tréanmhar, tuillte de neart,
go sluach séanmhar fuadrach faobhrach,
go cuanta Éilge is Inis Airt.

‘Nuair shuidhich an sluagh chun ghluais an leòghann,
san trìtheamh uair ‘s e buannachd cath,
bithidh sgaoileadh is ruagadh oirnn gu brath,
le nàir’ air an uaill th’ aig Tuath Luirc.

Chan eil òigear sèimh dhan bhannal cheart,
dh’fhuil Eoghain is Eibhir uasal is Art,
nach gluaiseadh e fhèin fada cèin,
‘se bharail fhèin do chòir bhith ceart.

Beidh an saol suaimhneach síoch sóch,
gan phléid, gan bhuairt, gan bhruíon, gan bhrón,
Beidh an spéir gan duartan suim ar neoin,
gan fhraoch, gan fuacht, gan teimheal, gan cheo.

Coróin na réics[?] ‘s do dhligheadh an ceart,
go deo do Shéarlas linn is dleacht;
dar Duach, gan bhréig, ní trua liom féin,
gach tuathal tréan do chur i sac.

Bidh lagh na Róimh mar ‘s gnath gu mòr,
bidh deuchainn an dàn gu bràth gun smàl,
bidh Seòirse lag is fann air a rathad,
gun fhìon, gun fheòil, gun snàithle bròig.

Beidh scóp ag cléir na cruinne, is reacht,
‘s ní leomhfaidh aon ‘na gcoinne teacht,
[liner notes have "bcoinne"]
beidh duais gach lae dá lua don éigs’,
ach duain is dréacht do sheinnt seal.

O noble, gentle, Queen; O treasure/dear,
your heart and your pitiful grief full of sadness,
I pray hard to the lamb of power [i.e. the Lamb of God],
for the return of the lively lad.

By the will of the Only Son [of God] he will return,
driven and strong, full of power,
in a happy, active, eager multitude,
to the harbors of Éilge and Inis Airt.
[I didn't find either of these locations in my reference materials. Eilgi and Art are figures mentioned in Old Irish writings.]

When the lion sets the host in motion,
in the third hour the battle is won,
there will be a dispersing and a routing from us forever,
with shame [to?] the lamentation of Tuath Luirc.
[Tuath Luirc = tribe/people of Lurc. Could be a place name, but I can't find it.
There are other places using Luirc, e.g. Charleville = Rath Luirc]

There isn’t a gentle youth from the right band,
of the blood of Eoghan, noble Éibhir, and Art,
who would not venture fearlessly abroad,
in order to put things right.

Life will be calm, peaceful and comfortable
without argument, without grief, without strife, without sorrow,
the sky will hopefully be without as much as a downpour,
without fury, without cold, without gloom, without mist.

The king’s crown, it is truly your entitlement, [not entirely sure of the syntax here]
forever rightfully belonging to [our?] Charles,
by Duach, truthfully I have no compunction,
bagging? every powerful opponent.

The law of Rome will indeed be the custom,
godliness will be ordained forever without blemish,
and George will be [left] weak and hollow on the road/way,
without wine, without meat, without a stitch of shoe.

The universal [i.e. catholic] clergy will have scope and jurisdiction,
and no one will dare to oppose them,
there will be prizes announced daily for the poet,
[for?] poems and compositions performed [in turn?]

Last edited by CaoimhínSF on Wed 27 Mar 2013 10:37 pm, edited 14 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon 25 Feb 2013 1:43 pm 

I'd personally start by trying to find the full text of the Irish original, and use that as a guide, but I don't know where you'd be able to find a copy.

I can't make out a great deal of it myself, but I'll see if I can add to what you've come up with....
A Riogain Uasail, [a] chuaich? ‘s a stòr
do chridhe ‘s do ____ le dlùth glan bròn --- truagh làn bròn?
guidheam do ghruag? chun a _____ i an bochd
Bha iad? ag fois __ a bhuachaill beo

Nuair a thèid (theic? (flee)) an sluagh gun gluais an[n] ____
‘s an _______ ‘s e ___ nach _____
bidh sgeul ___ is ruadh? de ___ no gràdh -- gu bràth
ag èirigh an-uair ni ach dual bochd

____ gu sèimh don bhean ar cheart?
gu lèir (gu leamhainn?) ___ saobh gu luath san sort?
nach gluais aig a fhèin fad de ___
‘s e bharr leum?(a bharail?) fhèin do _____ ceart

Bithidh latha?(lorg na shròin??)_ mar is gràdh tu mòr (are they hunting seals???)
bidh dìoghaltas? ____gu bràth____ gun smal
bidh seòrsa loch? is __fonn?___ gràdh
gu leanntainn ___ chun ___ i a’ ____

PostPosted: Mon 25 Feb 2013 3:44 pm 

Thanks, Niall. I think you're onto something there, and I've added those and a few changes of my own above, after another listen through. I decided to order the CD, which I should have in a week or so. I just hope it does come with the lyrics, because this is becoming a bit of an obsession for me at this point! :ninja:

It's also good to know that it's not just me, and that some of the words really are hard to hear. It's often very hard to actually "hear" words in another language when they're being sung, especially when it's a question of disembodied voices (i.e., no facial expressions or body movements giving contextual clues to what is being said), but also because intonation and pronunciation can be affected by the need to fit the tune, plus the poetic license I mentioned before.

PostPosted: Tue 26 Feb 2013 3:54 am 

Whoa! Sorry for missing so much!

Caoimhin, thank you for all your work! That's outstanding! And NiallBeag, thanks for adding on!
I am afraid I don't have the CD so let me know. Now that I know this song is in 2 languages I like the thought of it even more, as I started studying Irish and Ireland, but discovered Julie Fowlis and fell in love with her, and must learn her songs. I'm afraid it's become an obsession for ME ;) See what I did there? Ahaha.

Anyhow, this has been a very exciting moment in my life! Can't wait to pursue our project! Should we post in the Irish forum for help with the Irish verses?

PostPosted: Tue 26 Feb 2013 11:43 pm 

I should have the words soon, Annabeth I've got the CD coming and I also learned today that a new edition of the poems of Seán Clárach Mac Domhnaill was published in Dublin in 2011, and I just ordered a copy on Amazon (UK) at a fairly reasonable price, so even if the CD comes without lyrics (and I've heard from someone on the forum that it may indeed have them), A Riogain Uasail should be in the book, at least in its Irish version. The book should arrive in a week or so, and it should be possible to recreate the Gaelic lyrics, if necessary, from the Irish, as Niall mentioned.

PostPosted: Mon 04 Mar 2013 2:50 am 

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I should NOT be this excited... Hahaha! Thanks! I'll be forever indebted to thee :)

PostPosted: Mon 04 Mar 2013 6:24 pm 

Here's the text they give on the CD Dual - as you say, the first verse is sung by Julie Fowlis in Gàidhlig and the second by Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh as Gaeilge.
A Riogain Uasail - O Noble Queen

A Riogain Uasail shuairc's a stór - Oh Noble pleasant Queen and my dear,
Do chridhe's do bhuairte truagh làn brón - Your manner, your worry, pity and sadness,
Guidheam gu cruaidh chun an uain an cumhanchd - I pray dearly to the Lamb of God
Fo theachd ar cuairt chun a' bhuachaill' beo. - For the finding of your lively lad. (the fadas are of course pointing the other way)

Do dheoin an aon-Mhic tiocfaidh thar n-ais - By the will of the Only Son he will return,
Go treorach tréanmhar, tuillte do neart, - Driven and strong, full of power,
Go sluach séanmhar fuadrach faobhrach, - With a multitude, prosperous, hastily, aggressively,
Go cuanta Éilge is Inis Airt. - In the harbours of Éilge and Inis Airt.

'Nuair shuidhch an sluagh gun ghluais an loèghann - The Lion moved to the site of the crowd,
San tritheamh uair 's e buannachd cath - The din will vanquish at the third attempt,
Bithidh sgaoileadhis ruagadh oirnn gu brath - There will be unleashing and routing from us forever
Le nàir' air an uaill th' aig Tuath Luirc. - On the proud troop from Tuaith yet.

Chaneil óigear sèimh dhan bhannal cheart - There isn't a gentle youth from the right tribe,
Dh'fhuil Eoghain is Éibhir uasal is Art - Of the blood of Eoghan, learned Éibhir and Art
Nach gluaiseadh é fhéin fada céin - Who would not venture fearlessly abroad
'Se bharail fhéin do chóir bhith ceart - In order to put things right.

Beidh an saol suaimhneach síoch sóch, - Life would be calm, peaceful and comfortable
Gan phéid, gan bhuairt , gan bhruíon, gan bhrón,- Without argument,, without worry, without conflict,
Beidh an spéir gan duartan suim ar neoin, - The sky will be without as much as a downpour in the evening
Gan fhroach, fuacht, gan teimheal, gan chreo. - Without fury, without cold or gloom, without mist.

Coróin na réics do dhligheadh an ceart, - The crown of the lawful king
Go deo do Shéarlas linn is dleacht; -And justice, forever to our Charles,
Dar Duach! Gan bhréig, ní trua liom féin - By Duach, truthfully I have no compunction,
Gach tuathal tréan do chur i sac. - Bagging every powerfull opponent.

Bidh lagh na Róimh mar 's gnath gu mór - The law of Rome will be in common use,
Bidh deuchainn an dán gu bráth gun smál - There will be Godliness and order forever without stain,
Bidh Seórse lag is fann air a rathad - And smooth (?) will be the progress of mild Charles (?)
Gun fhíon gun fheóil gun snàithle bróig. - Without wine, without meat without a stitch of shoe.

Beidh scóp ag cléir na cruinne, is reacht - The clergy of the world will have scope and jurisdiction,
'S ní leomhfaidh aon 'na bcoinne teacht, - And no-one will be allowed to oppose them,
Beidh duais gach lae dá lua don éigs' - There will be prizes announced daily for the poet,
Ach duain is dréacht do sheinnt seal - For the performance of poem and verse.

Some of the verses were translated from Irish to Gàidhlig by Mary Smith

'Muireann found this song in Breandan Mac Gearaillt's ' An Blas Muimhneach (Coiscéim 2007). It is said to have been composed by the great poet Seán Clárach Mac Domhnaill (1681 - 1751/53) as a response to an earlier and very famous song of his, 'Mo Ghile Mear'.
Sometimes the other Cork poet Seán Ó Tuama is said to be the author of the song although it is widely accepted Seán Clárach is the composer. The 'Ríogan' or Queen, in the song is a metaphor for Ireland and her 'Buachaill Beo' is Bonnie Prince Charles of Scotland. The same air is used for both songs.'
(I have the uncomfortable feeling that whoever did the slieve notes doesn't know their Charles from their George - Franc)
Slán go léir ;)

PostPosted: Mon 04 Mar 2013 10:45 pm 

Oh my Gosh this just made my day! Thank you so much everyone!