It is currently Mon 17 Jun 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu 23 May 2024 4:30 pm 

oír an mhéid thréoruighthear lé spiorud Dé, a síad clann Dé íad.

\ore on v-ey-d hr-eyr-ig-har ley spir-od Dey, a sheed clann Dey eed\

One of my favorite verses in the bible! I believe that a lot of people who don't consider themselves Christians allow God to guide them even though they don't know it. I like bringing up this verse and saying things like "You know when you take those weird coincidences seriously? That's you following the Holy Spirit!"

PostPosted: Thu 23 May 2024 6:36 pm 

msv133 wrote:
oír an mhéid thréoruighthear lé spiorud Dé, a síad clann Dé íad.

\ore on v-ey-d hr-eyr-ig-har ley spir-od Dey, a sheed clann Dey eed\

One of my favorite verses in the bible! I believe that a lot of people who don't consider themselves Christians allow God to guide them even though they don't know it. I like bringing up this verse and saying things like "You know when you take those weird coincidences seriously? That's you following the Holy Spirit!"

Well, it's "an méid", not "an mhéid" in that sense.

Ohr a meyd a troh-ree-har le sprid Day, sheead clown Day eead.

PostPosted: Thu 23 May 2024 8:25 pm 

Is that "an méid" over "an mhéid" true in all dialects? Does that mean that my copy of Tiomna Nuadh is going to be prone to grammatical errors of this sort? If so, so unfortunate! I need to print off that cork bible that you linked me to...

PostPosted: Thu 23 May 2024 8:30 pm 

your pronunciation of thréoruighthear is so different than what I put together!!

Here is my logic: The th at the beginning will just make an "h" sound, the éo is dominated by the fada e so will make the ey sound, ruigh will make a rig sound and then thear will make a h-ahr sound (we ignore the t once more here).

Does this make sense in any of the irish dialects? These are rules that I've gathered from various places.

edit: I think you are sticking mostly to the Munster dialect?

PostPosted: Thu 23 May 2024 8:45 pm 

msv133 wrote:
Is that "an méid" over "an mhéid" true in all dialects? Does that mean that my copy of Tiomna Nuadh is going to be prone to grammatical errors of this sort? If so, so unfortunate! I need to print off that cork bible that you linked me to...

Well the New Testament in Bedell's Bible was translated in 1602.
If you look on teanglann.ie you will see that the masculine méid and feminine méid have different meanings.

PostPosted: Thu 23 May 2024 8:49 pm 

msv133 wrote:
your pronunciation of thréoruighthear is so different than what I put together!!

Here is my logic: The th at the beginning will just make an "h" sound, the éo is dominated by the fada e so will make the ey sound, ruigh will make a rig sound and then thear will make a h-ahr sound (we ignore the t once more here).

Does this make sense in any of the irish dialects? These are rules that I've gathered from various places.

edit: I think you are sticking mostly to the Munster dialect?

For a start, it's not éo, it's eó. The lengthmarks are often on the wrong vowel in Bedell's Bible.

Some people have: an méid a threóraítear, but you can also have an méid a treóraíthar. Because traditionally, the autonomous form was not lenited in any tense. The uigh is only pronounced in the imperative and third person singular preterite, which is why it is written treóraít(h)(e)ar today. Pronouncing the t(e)ar ending as thar is a usage, and is not compulsory as such, but a traditional thing in parts of Munster.

PostPosted: Thu 23 May 2024 9:34 pm 

Wow! So this Tiomna Nuadh and the Biobla Naofa are both wonky... that's just great! I really really need to go get that cork bible printed off..

Thank you so much I really appreciate your help and your vast knowledge. The fact that you know so much about bible translatations brings joy to my heart, I think God put you on this forum to help me out lol. I'm big into comparing different English translations with eachother and Greek, and it's good to know you're holding down the fort over here. I feel very called to learn scripture in Irish.

PostPosted: Fri 24 May 2024 1:30 am 

msv133 wrote:
Wow! So this Tiomna Nuadh and the Biobla Naofa are both wonky... that's just great! I really really need to go get that cork bible printed off..

Thank you so much I really appreciate your help and your vast knowledge. The fact that you know so much about bible translatations brings joy to my heart, I think God put you on this forum to help me out lol. I'm big into comparing different English translations with eachother and Greek, and it's good to know you're holding down the fort over here. I feel very called to learn scripture in Irish.

Well the aficionados of the Caighdeán Oifigiúil - a standard for Irish made by a committee in Dublin in the 1950s - will claim that it is not wonky, but in fact the only correct Irish.... There were complaints by the leader of the opposition in the Irish parliament at the time about the new "Standard" that no native Irish speaker spoke...

PostPosted: Fri 24 May 2024 1:53 pm 

Well, when things are done on a government initiative the inherent political festering's will inevitably produce something pretty incompetent it seems

PostPosted: Fri 24 May 2024 1:58 pm 

msv133 wrote:
Well, when things are done on a government initiative the inherent political festering's will inevitably produce something pretty incompetent it seems

It also means there is a great deal of hatred for learners of Cork Irish - something I was not prepared for before studying Irish. You should be aware of the huge negative reaction to Cork Irish from learners who insist that Irish with English phonetics and thousands of made-up words is superior to Gaeltacht Irish and to Cork Irish in particular.