It is currently Sat 18 May 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu 04 Apr 2024 7:19 pm 

Hi all! Happy Spring!

This is my first post - I found the forum while doing some research. I'm currently writing a book and part of the story takes place in the Republic of Ireland with my (American) protagonist interacting, of course, with a range of other characters during that time. I am looking for suggestions on resources that may be helpful in ensuring that I am reflecting accurate speech patterns, language, and idiomatic expressions. I recognize that regional accents are quite distinct and my character will be traveling through a number of counties (predominantly Southern) while in the country, so I am hoping for as generalized an approach as possible (idioms, phrasing, slang, etc. that is most common and likely to be heard almost anywhere). While I am certainly hoping for accuracy and authenticity here, I am almost more concerned with ensuring that I am being respectful.

I've been browsing the forum here and have found some helpful written resources, but am wondering if there are, perhaps, any video or audio-type resources that might provide a more casual, everyday overview of conversation, speech, etc. as well.

Generally, any recommendations, suggestions, resources, etc. are welcome. Hell, even telling me to scrap the story would be accepted if you gave me good enough reason to not even bother trying to tackle this, ha.

Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Thu 04 Apr 2024 8:20 pm 

You could watch a few episodes of Father Ted on Youtube and build some of the dialogue into your story?

PostPosted: Sat 06 Apr 2024 5:39 pm 

djwebb2021 wrote:
You could watch a few episodes of Father Ted on Youtube and build some of the dialogue into your story?

I was wondering about that! I know it is a bit of an older show, but I feel as though I recall reading somewhere that Father Ted coined some phrases that are still somewhat popular today? I am always hesitant with TV shows or movies as I don't personally know enough to recognize their accuracy, but I'd considered Father Ted, so I appreciate the reassurance that I'd be looking (or listening) in the right direction there. A friend had suggested Derry Girls, which I'm not opposed to watching, though I know there are often stark differences in language between Republic of and North of Ireland and I did not want to confuse myself, haha.

I appreciate the suggestion! :)

PostPosted: Sat 06 Apr 2024 7:16 pm 

Here's a Northern accent for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj705DvCSxg

PostPosted: Sat 06 Apr 2024 7:26 pm 

I find the best book on Hiberno-English is by a finnish man called Markku Vilppula - and it can be found as a PDF at https://zlibrary.to/filedownload/the-gr ... nian-style The download does work. I just tried it.