It is currently Sun 19 May 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue 05 Mar 2024 7:51 am 

Hello everyone
Sorry in advance if this has been covered before.
We are having our first grandchild arrive very soon, and I am wanting to hand embroider a receiving shawl with "Our Baby" (or "My Baby" if translation for "Our" isn't possible).
I have tried to find the correct information online, but from what I can see, there is many endearing terms for baby in the Irish Gaelic languages and dialects. I am particularly interested in SL, as I love to keep the old traditions and crafts alive.
We do not know what the sex of the baby is, so gender neutral is a must.
So far, I am most drawn to A leanbh (as much as I can tell with zero Gaelic knowledge, this means My Baby, but Google translate says it means baby boy). I did want Leanbhán, but sadly it will not fit in the design easily.
Any help you can provide would be amazing before I spend the better part of 50 hours embroidering the wrong thing!
Thank you all SO much!
Warmest regards
Aussie mum

PS: If "A leanbh" is indeed correct, is the "L" following the A a capital or a lower case?
Thanks again :-)

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2024 11:14 am 

I am very much an early stage learner so my response may be wrong or may need expansion. But my understanding is that 'A leanbh' is 'His/her/their baby'. 'My baby' would be 'Mo leanbh', which is gender neutral. Corrections from more fluent speakers are welcome.

You can find the pronunciation of 'leanbh' in the three main dialects here:
https://www.teanglann.ie/en/fuaim/leanbh

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2024 3:22 pm 

It depends.

In addressing your child, you would use a linbh (it's in vocative case, so linbh instead of leanbh) in CO or a leana in South Connacht, maybe a leanbh is used in other dialects. I don't know.

In addressing, mo (my) or other possessive adjectives are never used. There is only "a", the vocative particle (something like "oh" in English).
Strictly speaking, a linbh just means "child!"
If you want to insist on mentioning that the child is yours, you could use a linbh liom (my child) or a linbh linn (our child).

If you are not addressing your baby directly, you would use possessive adjectives mo (my) or ár (our): mo leanbh, ár leanbh (nominative case).

A linbh in other circumstances as addressing would mean "his/her/their child's" (genitive case), and a leanbh would mean "his/her/their child" (nominative case).

Except in headlines, l is lower case.

Last edited by Labhrás on Wed 06 Mar 2024 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2024 3:55 pm 

Thanks for the expansion Labhrás.

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2024 9:56 pm 

Thank you so much Labhrás! That was so thorough, and has helped me out heaps!