It is currently Thu 18 Apr 2024 12:05 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat 03 Apr 2021 3:35 pm 

I am researching translations of my surname in Irish, Old Irish and Ogham for a possible tattoo and for use in a family website. My surname is Comiskey. My great-grandfather was recorded in U.S. census records as Cummiskey before 1900, and thereafter as Comiskey. I have found references to Mac Cummiscaigh and Mac Cumascagh in Irish. I had the idea of a tattoo of 'MacCumascagh abu' rendered in Ogham form. Questions: In Ogham is Mac or Maq or Macci more correct for this usage and would the final consonant be 'g' or 'gh' in the surname? If there are space considerations, would it be appropriate to drop 'Mac'? Any corrections or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I was directed to this site by a reference in Audrey Nickel's book "The Irish Gaelic Tattoo Handbook".
Thank you, Gene Comiskey

PostPosted: Sun 04 Apr 2021 5:21 pm 

StrategicConfuser wrote:
I am researching translations of my surname in Irish, Old Irish and Ogham for a possible tattoo and for use in a family website. My surname is Comiskey. My great-grandfather was recorded in U.S. census records as Cummiskey before 1900, and thereafter as Comiskey. I have found references to Mac Cummiscaigh and Mac Cumascagh in Irish. I had the idea of a tattoo of 'MacCumascagh abu' rendered in Ogham form. Questions: In Ogham is Mac or Maq or Macci more correct for this usage and would the final consonant be 'g' or 'gh' in the surname? If there are space considerations, would it be appropriate to drop 'Mac'? Any corrections or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I was directed to this site by a reference in Audrey Nickel's book "The Irish Gaelic Tattoo Handbook".
Thank you, Gene Comiskey

Mac Cumascaigh, son of confuser ;)
https://www.libraryireland.com/names/ma ... scaigh.php

I can't say anything to Ogham.