It is currently Tue 13 Apr 2021 7:51 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun 21 Mar 2021 4:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 16 Dec 2015 8:36 pm
Posts: 50
Hi,

Is anyone aware of any good resources for learning/studying classical Irish?

Go raibh maith agaibh,

Oscar


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 21 Mar 2021 8:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 9:55 am
Posts: 2105
Location: 91 - France
By classical, do you mean Old Irish ? If that's what you're looking for, you can look at the post about it that I made earlier.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar 2021 1:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 16 Dec 2015 8:36 pm
Posts: 50
franc 91 wrote:
By classical, do you mean Old Irish ? If that's what you're looking for, you can look at the post about it that I made earlier.


Hey,

I'm actually referring to Early Modern Irish.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar 2021 11:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 9:55 am
Posts: 2105
Location: 91 - France
To answer your question, I suggest that you have a look at the Wikipedia page on this subject.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Modern_Irish

When I saw this at first, I was under the impression that this term would have been used for describing the Irish literature of the 18th century, ie ;- Cúirt an Mheán-Oíche/The Midnight Court by Brian Merriman and the poetry of Aogán Ó Rathaile. If you want more information about them, I can oblige.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar 2021 8:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 16 Dec 2015 8:36 pm
Posts: 50
franc 91 wrote:
To answer your question, I suggest that you have a look at the Wikipedia page on this subject.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Modern_Irish

When I saw this at first, I was under the impression that this term would have been used for describing the Irish literature of the 18th century, ie ;- Cúirt an Mheán-Oíche/The Midnight Court by Brian Merriman and the poetry of Aogán Ó Rathaile. If you want more information about them, I can oblige.


Thanks, I would be very interested in this information as well!

I ending up finding some interesting stuff on the internet archive thanks to that wikipedia article. I do find it to be a fantastic resource for older/out of print literature in Irish.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 25 Mar 2021 2:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2014 10:03 pm
Posts: 462
Location: SAM
https://xn--lamh-bpa.org/

Is what you want. From what I've seen on Twitter, they're getting around to adding more stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar 2021 12:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed 16 Dec 2015 8:36 pm
Posts: 50
galaxyrocker wrote:
https://xn--lamh-bpa.org/

Is what you want. From what I've seen on Twitter, they're getting around to adding more stuff.


Thanks! I actually came across this and another once called celt.ucc.ie


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar 2021 2:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Mar 2012 6:16 pm
Posts: 1528
gliaire wrote:
Hi,

Is anyone aware of any good resources for learning/studying classical Irish?

Go raibh maith agaibh,

Oscar


For the Classical language, i.e. the highfalutin diction used exclusively in poetry, there has been a good few recent publications:

Chief among these is Eoin Mac Cárthaigh's edition of volume 1 (another 4 to go) of the Grammatical Tracts as set out in the Manuscripts by the poets / scribes themselves:
The Art of Bardic Poetry: A New Edition of Irish Grammatical Tracts I: https://shop.dias.ie/product/the-art-of ... -tracts-i/

The older edition is also available here: https://shop.dias.ie/product/bardic-syntactical-tracts/

General introductions:
McManus, D., 'An Ghaeilge Chlasaiceach', in K. McCone et al. Stair na Gaeilge (Maynooth, 1994) 335-447.
McManus, D., 'The Irish Grammatical and Syntactical Tracts: A Concordance of Duplicated and Identified Citations', Ériu 48 (1997) 83-101: https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/30007958.pdf

Other texts:
Mícheál Hoyne's Fuidheall Áir: Bardic poems on the Meic Dhiarmada of Magh Luirg c. 1377–c. 1637: https://shop.dias.ie/product/fuidheall- ... 77-c-1637/

There are also loads of editions of poems available. To that end, you may also be interested in the Bardic Poetry Database: https://bardic.celt.dias.ie/

Best,
Cian

_________________
Is Fearr súil romhainn ná ḋá ṡúil inár ndiaiḋ
(Amhlaoibh Ó Súilleabháin)

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice


I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar 2021 12:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 16 Dec 2015 8:36 pm
Posts: 50
An Cionnfhaolach wrote:
gliaire wrote:
Hi,

Is anyone aware of any good resources for learning/studying classical Irish?

Go raibh maith agaibh,

Oscar


For the Classical language, i.e. the highfalutin diction used exclusively in poetry, there has been a good few recent publications:

Chief among these is Eoin Mac Cárthaigh's edition of volume 1 (another 4 to go) of the Grammatical Tracts as set out in the Manuscripts by the poets / scribes themselves:
The Art of Bardic Poetry: A New Edition of Irish Grammatical Tracts I: https://shop.dias.ie/product/the-art-of ... -tracts-i/

The older edition is also available here: https://shop.dias.ie/product/bardic-syntactical-tracts/

General introductions:
McManus, D., 'An Ghaeilge Chlasaiceach', in K. McCone et al. Stair na Gaeilge (Maynooth, 1994) 335-447.
McManus, D., 'The Irish Grammatical and Syntactical Tracts: A Concordance of Duplicated and Identified Citations', Ériu 48 (1997) 83-101: https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/30007958.pdf

Other texts:
Mícheál Hoyne's Fuidheall Áir: Bardic poems on the Meic Dhiarmada of Magh Luirg c. 1377–c. 1637: https://shop.dias.ie/product/fuidheall- ... 77-c-1637/

There are also loads of editions of poems available. To that end, you may also be interested in the Bardic Poetry Database: https://bardic.celt.dias.ie/

Best,
Cian

This is fantastic. Thank you!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 44 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group