It is currently Sun 28 Feb 2021 9:40 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun 07 Feb 2021 8:35 am 

Jig - I was just watching Tony McManus DADGAD course where he talks a bit about "jig time" with accents on 1 and 3 (out of 6 8ths). Still nothing replaces listening and absorbing. I can read music OK - but I am not an expert in writing, reading or analyzing rhythms. I can get on stage in a jazz jam and I am literally NEVER lost in a tune - there is a thread in my brain that keeps timing right - without ever having to think about it. Not sure how it can extend to Irish music - when the COVID19 is less of a problem I hope that some sessions around Austin will resume so then we will see if I can dance jig "successfully in tight slacks" (to quote Steve Martin).

Chopin - well you know... national composer - you hear him on the radio everyday - literally - calling signals are excerpts of his most famous pieces. You dance polonaise when you gave prom night upon high school graduation (only at the beginning for 10 mins). So you get some Chopin's saturation. But I still tell you that much - the International Chopin's Competition held every 5 years in Warsaw . It is a bit like soccer World Cup. Many people listen to it - watch on TV - discuss the competitors. Everybody wants Polish pianist to win. Kindda weird. I love jazz piano - Keith Jarret for example. And I appreciate very good classical pianist. But I mostly listen to Bach, Mozart or maybe odd composer like Mompou. Rarely to romantic music and Chopin. I guess Polish proberbs could be quoted here "cudze chwalicie - swego nie znacie - sami nie wiecie - co posiadacie" (you praise foreign (art) - do not know your own - and you have no idea - what (wealth) you possess". If you can pronounce it correctly in Polish I will buy honest pint of Guinness if you ever stop by in Austin. And yea we could jam. I have good keyboard at home (88 weighted keys).