It is currently Sat 05 Dec 2020 6:41 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun 08 Nov 2020 5:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 08 Nov 2020 5:18 pm
Posts: 5
Hi everyone, I have a question about a rather cryptic prayer in Irish. It's an old prayer that was used at a holy well on the Mullet Peninsula. I can't figure out what the translation should be. I would appreciate your help!

Paidir an Tobair
Uisce cloch do do iarraidh
Ní do do iarraidh atá mé
Ach ó tháinig mé an bealach
Is do do iarraidh atá mé

Many thanks,
Annemarie


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 08 Nov 2020 8:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 08 Nov 2020 5:18 pm
Posts: 5
In addition, this is a different version of the prayer I found here: http://focailfholaithe.fng.ie/content/dabhaidh-0

uisce cloch gan iarraidh,
ní do d' iarraidh thainic mé,
ach' thárlaigh gur casadh an bealach mé,
is do d' iarraidh atá mé anois.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 08 Nov 2020 9:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 1334
Annemarie wrote:
Paidir an Tobair
Uisce cloch do do iarraidh
Ní do do iarraidh atá mé
Ach ó tháinig mé an bealach
Is do do iarraidh atá mé

Not so cryptic regarding grammar and wording
except for the intended meaning of the verb iarr.
(iarr = ask, request, demand, search for, want)

Water of stones (being) asked for
I don't ask for you
But since I came the way
I ask for you.

Annemarie wrote:
uisce cloch gan iarraidh,
ní do d' iarraidh thainic mé,
ach' thárlaigh gur casadh an bealach mé,
is do d' iarraidh atá mé anois.

Water of stones unasked for
Not to ask for you I came
But as happened that I met the way
Asking for you I am now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 11 Nov 2020 4:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 08 Nov 2020 5:18 pm
Posts: 5
Thank you Labhras, that makes it clearer (despite the precise meaning of the verb iarr)! Could the 'water of stones' also be translated as 'water of stone' (singular)? As the prayer may have been recited while taking water from a bullaun.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 11 Nov 2020 7:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 1334
Annemarie wrote:
Thank you Labhras, that makes it clearer (despite the precise meaning of the verb iarr)! Could the 'water of stones' also be translated as 'water of stone' (singular)? As the prayer may have been recited while taking water from a bullaun.


No, literally it means "water of stones".
water of stone: uisce cloiche


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 13 Nov 2020 3:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 08 Nov 2020 5:18 pm
Posts: 5
Thank you Labhras, I will keep it singular! I have asked two others to translate the prayer as well, and their translation is similar. I would like to use it in a chapter that I am writing about St. Deirbhile and her holy well on the Mullet Peninsula. If it's okay with you, I will reference your help in a footnote, along with the others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec 2020 3:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 08 Nov 2020 5:18 pm
Posts: 5
Hi Labhras,

Not sure if you tried to contact me here at ILF, but unfortunately I have no access to private messages, as I'm a new member. According to the 'rules' I haven't participated long enough to be able to access the ILF mailbox?

Would you mind leaving a short message here, if it was you trying to contact me?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec 2020 8:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 1334
Annemarie wrote:
Hi Labhras,

Not sure if you tried to contact me here at ILF, but unfortunately I have no access to private messages, as I'm a new member. According to the 'rules' I haven't participated long enough to be able to access the ILF mailbox?

Would you mind leaving a short message here, if it was you trying to contact me?


No, I wasn’t. I rarely use private messages.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 111 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group