It is currently Sun 27 Sep 2020 11:09 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Translation help
PostPosted: Sat 15 Aug 2020 3:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 16 Nov 2016 11:12 pm
Posts: 149
Bríd Mhór wrote:
Like Tim suggested I think the subjunctive might be better than the imperative in this case.
But you can use the imperative if you like.

Go raibh sí láidir
Go raibh sí saor
Go raibh beannachtaí uirthi i gcónaí
Go raibh sé amhlaidh / or Bíodh sé amhlaidh (imperative)

May she be strong....
etc.


I had to look up exactly what "subjunctive" means to understand what you're saying.
"May she be strong...." is pretty much exactly what I was going for.

BTW, I know this can be a tricky question when dealing with Irish translations, but what is the exact translation of Go raibh?
And does this mean that the literal translation of Go raibh maith agat is "May goodness be at you"?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Translation help
PostPosted: Sat 15 Aug 2020 7:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 2828
Vitaee wrote:

BTW, I know this can be a tricky question when dealing with Irish translations, but what is the exact translation of Go raibh?
And does this mean that the literal translation of Go raibh maith agat is "May goodness be at you"?



I rarely use grammar terms :darklaugh:
We use the subjunctive for praying and wishing something to happen.
Like in English you'd say: If I were you....
were - is the subjunctive.

Yes, "may you have goodness" would be a direct translation.

Other people may be able to explain it better, or correct what I've said. As everybody knows I'm not good at grammar explanations.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Translation help
PostPosted: Sun 16 Aug 2020 4:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed 16 Nov 2016 11:12 pm
Posts: 149
Thanks all for the input and help.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Translation help
PostPosted: Sun 16 Aug 2020 4:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed 16 Nov 2016 11:12 pm
Posts: 149
Bríd Mhór wrote:
Vitaee wrote:

BTW, I know this can be a tricky question when dealing with Irish translations, but what is the exact translation of Go raibh?
And does this mean that the literal translation of Go raibh maith agat is "May goodness be at you"?



I rarely use grammar terms :darklaugh:
We use the subjunctive for praying and wishing something to happen.
Like in English you'd say: If I were you....
were - is the subjunctive.

Yes, "may you have goodness" would be a direct translation.

Other people may be able to explain it better, or correct what I've said. As everybody knows I'm not good at grammar explanations.


I rarely used grammar terms either, which is why I had to look up what subjunctive meant.

So, in conclusion, I think I'll go with:

Go raibh sí láidir
Go raibh sí saor
Beannachtaí uirthi i gcónaí
Bíodh sé amhlaidh

I know that 3rd line should technically be Go raibh beannachtaí uirthí i gcónaí, but do y'all think it's within the limit of poetic license to leave Go raibh off of that line?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Translation help
PostPosted: Sun 16 Aug 2020 8:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 1294
Vitaee wrote:
So, in conclusion, I think I'll go with:

Go raibh sí láidir
Go raibh sí saor
Beannachtaí uirthi i gcónaí
Bíodh sé amhlaidh

I know that 3rd line should technically be Go raibh beannachtaí uirthí i gcónaí, but do y'all think it's within the limit of poetic license to leave Go raibh off of that line?


Yes. "Go raibh" is often left out in such phrases.
e.g. the common phrase "Bail ó Dhia ort" is a shortened form of "Go raibh bail ó Dhia ort"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Translation help
PostPosted: Sun 16 Aug 2020 8:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 1294
Bríd Mhór wrote:
Vitaee wrote:

BTW, I know this can be a tricky question when dealing with Irish translations, but what is the exact translation of Go raibh?
And does this mean that the literal translation of Go raibh maith agat is "May goodness be at you"?



I rarely use grammar terms :darklaugh:
We use the subjunctive for praying and wishing something to happen.
Like in English you'd say: If I were you....
were - is the subjunctive.

Yes, "may you have goodness" would be a direct translation.

Other people may be able to explain it better, or correct what I've said. As everybody knows I'm not good at grammar explanations.


Your explanation is perfect.

I could only add:
A very literal translation of Go raibh maith agat is "That be goodness at you".
"Go" is obviously the conjunction "that" used as a "subjunctive particle" (or better "optative particle").
No literal form of "may" is needed in Irish.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 154 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group