It is currently Tue 04 Aug 2020 8:32 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jul 2020 12:09 am 

Hello Big Brains! Please, I am in need of some help. I am learning more and more about my ancestry and I want to pay homage by making my next tattoo related to this. I have found that my ancestry came largely from Ireland and specifically the Dublin area. I have done some research (please correct me if I am wrong though!) and it seems that the specific dialect or Irish that is spoken in this area is Connacht Irish, hence the GC request. If I am incorrect please let me know where I can learn more about this or if you have any insights to share with me.

Well long story short I have a couple of tattoo ideas and I am hoping to get them in the Ogham. I have done a bit of research about this as well and have found that for it to be most accurate that you should translate the writing into Irish before attempting to translate it to the Ogham. So I am here to humbly ask for some help in obtaining an accurate translation for the phrases and words I am interested in. I will list them below and number them so if you assist with more than one translation it will hopefully make it easier for you! Thank you for taking the time to read this far and thank you in advance for your help!!

1: Strength

2: Truth

3:
As above, so below
As within, so without
As the universe, so the soul

Above are the three things I would love help translating! I just wanted to clarify, in case it is important to anyone reading this that the 3rd phrase is NOT related to satanism, although it has been conflated by some, in my case it is completely unrelated. Thank you again for your time and assistance!
:toast:

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jul 2020 11:37 pm 

1: Strength
Neart

2: Truth
Fírinne

3: For this item, note that it is not always feasible to say something as succinctly in one language as it is in another. Due to its history, English is a very flexible language, so it can allows things to be said in a number of ways, depending on the context. Irish is not quite so flexible, though it does of course have various ways of saying some things. Here are some suggestions:

Mar a bhíonn sé thuas, bíonn sé thíos
As it is above, so is it below

but this might sound more natural:

Mar a bhíonn sé tharainn, bíonn sé fuinn
As it is above us, so is it below us.

Mar a bhíonn sé istigh, bíonn sé amuigh
As it is inside, so is it outside.

The last expression is pretty cryptic , so I'll leave it for someone else.

Ogham, by they way, is just a writing system, not a language, so one doesn't "translate" into Ogham. It was used to write Old Irish, but mainly names and brief inscriptions. It did not have characters for all of the sounds now found in Modern Irish, although there have been modern creations to fill in the gaps (which are, of course, not historical).

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jul 2020 7:15 pm 

WOW!!! Thank you so so much for the translations and the information! I understand what you mean about the phrasing and I actually like it the ways you have it. I really appreciate your help!!!
:GRMA: