It is currently Mon 16 Dec 2019 6:01 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov 2019 7:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 18 Nov 2019 7:09 pm
Posts: 6
Thank you so much in advanced for any help I receive on this! I have had the hardest time finding a place to request an accurate translation. All of my tattoos have some type of meaning and this one will be in honor of part of my heritage as well as some struggles I have faced in the last few years. It means so much to me that I have hopefully found a place that can help me with this.

This is my first post, so I apologize if I made any mistakes!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov 2019 12:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1464
abdubb wrote:
Thank you so much in advanced for any help I receive on this! I have had the hardest time finding a place to request an accurate translation. All of my tattoos have some type of meaning and this one will be in honor of part of my heritage as well as some struggles I have faced in the last few years. It means so much to me that I have hopefully found a place that can help me with this.

This is my first post, so I apologize if I made any mistakes!

Your post is fine, abdubb, although I'm not entirely sure how to respond. I can give you a mostly literal translation, but am unsure whether it would be understood in the same way in Irish. Still, this will get the ball rolling, and others may be able to chime in with better suggestions.

The basic word for "true" in Irish is fíor, and it can be used as a prefix with other nouns, so fíorthuaisceart could be understood as "true north", although I've never actually seen or heard the term used in Irish.

For the command "Find!", one could use the simple command form faigh, but it would sound more natural if expressed less as a command than as a hope or wish, in this way:

Go bhfaighe tú d'fhíorthuaisceart
[I hope/desire] that you find your true north!
or
May you find your true north!

We always suggest waiting for three people to agree on a translation when it comes to tattoos.

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov 2019 10:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 1192
CaoimhínSF wrote:
Go bhfaighe tú d’fhíorthuaisceart
[I hope/desire] that you find your true north!
or
May you find your true north!

We always suggest waiting for three people to agree on a translation when it comes to tattoos.

:good:
(Though I don’t know what is meant by finding one’s true north.)

For space savings in tattoos you can use dotted letters instead of the h’s which is best for traditional fonts like:

Go ḃfaiġe tú d’ḟíorṫuaisceart


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov 2019 1:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Sep 2011 2:06 pm
Posts: 582
While 'fíorthuaisceart' is indeed 'true north' in the literal sense, I don't think it applies in the figurative sense of finding or proceeding on the right course, in the right direction.

You could say: Aimsigh an treo ceart ('Find the right direction'). The term réalta eolais ('guiding star/guiding light/lodestar') might be useful.

Perhaps you should explain what 'Find your true north' means to you exactly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov 2019 2:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 18 Nov 2019 7:09 pm
Posts: 6
Errigal wrote:
While 'fíorthuaisceart' is indeed 'true north' in the literal sense, I don't think it applies in the figurative sense of finding or proceeding on the right course, in the right direction.

You could say: Aimsigh an treo ceart ('Find the right direction'). The term réalta eolais ('guiding star/guiding light/lodestar') might be useful.

Perhaps you should explain what 'Find your true north' means to you exactly.



It is more of a figurative reference to finding or following your own path in life. It will be written down my forearm below a compass that I already have tattooed on my arm. I like the idea of guiding star/light as well. It doesn’t have to be exactly word for word, just a similar meaning.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov 2019 4:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 18 Nov 2019 7:09 pm
Posts: 6
CaoimhínSF wrote:
abdubb wrote:
Thank you so much in advanced for any help I receive on this! I have had the hardest time finding a place to request an accurate translation. All of my tattoos have some type of meaning and this one will be in honor of part of my heritage as well as some struggles I have faced in the last few years. It means so much to me that I have hopefully found a place that can help me with this.

This is my first post, so I apologize if I made any mistakes!

Your post is fine, abdubb, although I'm not entirely sure how to respond. I can give you a mostly literal translation, but am unsure whether it would be understood in the same way in Irish. Still, this will get the ball rolling, and others may be able to chime in with better suggestions.

The basic word for "true" in Irish is fíor, and it can be used as a prefix with other nouns, so fíorthuaisceart could be understood as "true north", although I've never actually seen or heard the term used in Irish.

For the command "Find!", one could use the simple command form faigh, but it would sound more natural if expressed less as a command than as a hope or wish, in this way:

Go bhfaighe tú d'fhíorthuaisceart
[I hope/desire] that you find your true north!
or
May you find your true north!

We always suggest waiting for three people to agree on a translation when it comes to tattoos.


Thank you!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 20 Nov 2019 1:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1464
Quote:
You could say: Aimsigh an treo ceart ('Find the right direction'). The term réalta eolais ('guiding star/guiding light/lodestar') might be useful.

Those are good suggestions, so perhaps you could say:

Aimsigh do réalta eolais
Find your guiding star

or, in keeping with the idea of using the "wishing" form:

Go n-aimsí tú do réalta eolais
May you find your guiding star

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 20 Nov 2019 1:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon 18 Nov 2019 7:09 pm
Posts: 6
CaoimhínSF wrote:
Quote:
You could say: Aimsigh an treo ceart ('Find the right direction'). The term réalta eolais ('guiding star/guiding light/lodestar') might be useful.

Those are good suggestions, so perhaps you could say:

Aimsigh do réalta eolais
Find your guiding star

or, in keeping with the idea of using the "wishing" form:

Go n-aimsí tú do réalta eolais
May you find your guiding star


Thank you! I really like the first interpretation vs the second. It feels more personal. .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 20 Nov 2019 9:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed 30 Oct 2019 9:20 pm
Posts: 5
I'm still learning... and thus no native speaker, but in this context, I'm surprised no one has suggested "fíorbhealach" or "fíorshlí".

I like the use of the subjunctive, too, rather than imperative.... níos mó lách :good:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 20 Nov 2019 3:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 18 Nov 2019 7:09 pm
Posts: 6
RobertBLock78 wrote:
I'm still learning... and thus no native speaker, but in this context, I'm surprised no one has suggested "fíorbhealach" or "fíorshlí".

I like the use of the subjunctive, too, rather than imperative.... níos mó lách :good:


Thank you!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group