Post subject: Re: The Clash take 2
PostPosted: Wed 23 Oct 2019 8:18 am 

Esszet wrote:
Alright, so:

But you have to tell me
Ach caithfidh tú liom a rá

Shoud I stay or should I go?
Ar cheart dom fanacht nó imeacht?

As for #2, yeah, I realized it needs the possessive pronoun, and it was when you said that...I’m not sure if this is going to work, but:

Tell me! What do I have to be?
Abair liom! Cad é mo dhuine inar orm bheith?

EDIT: But I just realized it’s the same construction as the one in the other thread (Mo dhuine inar bheith mise), so I don’t know, and that’s all I got.

1 'Ach caithfidh tú liom a rá'. - No. It's only the direct object pronoun that precedes the verbal noun., so
it should be Caithfidh tú a rá liom/insint dom. As I wrote above.

2 'Cad é mo dhuine inar orm bheith' and 'Mo dhuine inar bheith mise'. - Absolutely not! These make no sense. You're mixing together different structures. Have another look at that other thread ("the best you can be").

PostPosted: Thu 24 Oct 2019 5:12 am 

Thank you Esszet, Errigal and Redwolf for your help. Sorry I doubled topics. I'm new to this kind of forum. Thank you Redwolf for locking the first posting so as not to confuse people. I'll work on what you've written. I'm going to go to some pronunciation guides to see if I can work my way through the possible translations you've provided. If anyone is willing to make an audio file that I can verify my pronunciation with, I'd be additionally grateful. Or, when I'm done with my work, I can make a recording that someone could listen to and correct. What an amazing resource this forum is!
Yours,
Taikogrrl

PostPosted: Thu 24 Oct 2019 11:53 pm 

I can make the audio file for you (although be sure to ask everyone else here if I'm getting it right). I was looking at your translation of the English lyrics, Errigal, and you should be able to make this work, the only thing that wouldn't work there is, Nach bhfuil a fhios agat fiú cé na héadaí a óireann dom?, which would never fit in there...ever. And I'm sorry, Errigal, I sorta forgot that I could easily rework your translation as necessary, unfortunately (I've been having a rough time of it lately). So we have:

It's true
Tá sé go fíor

I cool it or I blow (literally)
Fanaim socair nó pléascann mé

If I go there will be trouble
Má imím beidh trioblóid annsan (rhythm)

If I stay it will be double
Má fhanaim beidh a dhá oiread sin ann (no is (and), might want to re-work this as well)

But you have to tell me
Ach caithfidh tú a rá liomsa (rhythm again)

I don't know what you want to do about Doblo me enfrío o lo soplo (you might just wanna use something that sounds good). Does Cé hé mé go díreach also work as the translation of "What do I have to be", by the way?

PostPosted: Mon 28 Oct 2019 2:32 am 

Okay, I've spent some time running the words from your translations (Esszet and Errigal) through an online pronunciation guide I hope is respectable (https://www.teanglann.ie/en/fuaim/mar), and now have a couple of questions, if you have a little more time for me :)

What if, "Ar cheart dom fanacht socair nó ar cheart dom pléascadh?" and "Ar cheart dom fanacht nó ar cheart dom imeacht anois?" were shortened as we might in English, making, "Should I stay or should I go now?" and "Should I cool it or should I blow?" into, simply, "Should I stay or go (now)?" I'm fine translating the idiomatic "cool it or blow" as meaning the same thing as "stay or go"... unless, of course, there's a cool Irish idiomatic phrase for "stay or go." (That would be even better, I think). Anyhow, shorting the line by removing the redundant "should I" might make it easier to fit the Irish line into the rhythm and limited time I have to sing it. What would "Should I stay or go?" and "Should I stay or go now?" translate to? Could it be as simple as making, "Ar cheart dom fanacht socair nó ar cheart dom pléascadh?" into, "Ar cheart dom fanacht socair nó dom pléascadh?" And, "Ar cheart dom fanacht nó ar cheart dom imeacht anois?" into, "Ar cheart dom fanacht nó dom imeacht anois?" To my completely ignorant of Irish eye, the "dom" seems to be part of the verb, so I left it.

Lastly, "Nach bhfuil a fhios agat fiú cé na héadaí a óireann dom?" Can it be shortened from, "Don't you know which clothes even fit me?" to, "Do you know which clothes fit me?" or even, "Do you know what fits me?" What would those translate to in Irish?

Again, thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Taikogrrl

PostPosted: Mon 28 Oct 2019 10:58 pm 

Teanglann is alright, but the people aren't always native speakers, try fuaimeanna.ie instead (although the number of words (and phrases) is MUCH smaller). I thought you wanted the Spanish translated into Irish; Errigal just translated the English, so what I wrote should approximate the Spanish more closely (but do not accept it without getting confirmation from other people first). Thus Ar cheart dom fanacht nó imeacht? instead of Ar cheart dom fanacht nó ar cheart dom imeacht?

PostPosted: Tue 29 Oct 2019 7:08 am 

Thank you, Esszet, for sticking with this. It's been a real journey, trying to decide where to use the English and where to try to emulate the Spanish, which is sometimes rather wacky. I guess I'm ready to see if I can pronounce it. This is what I'm going to try to sing, and if you can make me a audio of it I know that will help. When I learned the Irish part of another song I was going off their recording, but also went to pronunciation sites and ran it by an Irish speaker... and I did reasonably well after all that. I'd like to do at least reasonably well with this new venture.

So, assuming it is now acceptable Irish (admitting I extrapolated some advice and may have overstepped) these are the line I'd like to hear recorded (unless I totally messed them uo):

Tá an éiginteacht seo ag cur as dom
Mura dteastaím uait, scaol saor mé
Cé hé mé go díreach?
Nach bhfuil a fhios agat fiú cé na héadaí a óireann dom? [please help me shorten this line if at all possible]
Seo leat, abair liom
Ar cheart dom fanacht socair nó pléascadh? [completely not sure if this line is ok since I cut out ]

Ar cheart dom fanacht nó imeacht? [do I need the "anois" at the end?]
Má imím beidh trioblóid ann
Is má fhanaim beidh a dhá oiread sin ann
Caithfidh tú a rá liom mar sin

PostPosted: Tue 29 Oct 2019 10:44 pm 

So you just want to sing the English part translated?