It is currently Tue 10 Dec 2019 7:56 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed 21 Aug 2019 12:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 21 Aug 2019 12:11 pm
Posts: 3
Hello,

I'd like some help having a tattoo translated. It's my favorite James Joyce quote from Ulysses. I'm just starting to learn about the Irish language and I don't know enough about it yet, I'd like an expert to help me out to make sure it's properly translated into Irish before I have something permanently etched on my body. There are two versions, I'm not sure which I'll go with yet so both would be very helpful. They are below:

"As I am, as I am. All or not at all."

"All or not at all."

I may have to go with just "All or not at all" because of the space required, so I'd like to see both translated separately. Thank you so much for your help!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 21 Aug 2019 12:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 11:36 pm
Posts: 318
These are attempts at translating the cryptic Joyce. Very questionable.

As I am, as I am.

Mar é atá ionam, ionam.

All or not at all.

Gach rud nó rud ar bith.

For a tattoo, make sure you get a thorough discussion and three agreements before you get inked.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 22 Aug 2019 3:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed 21 Aug 2019 12:11 pm
Posts: 3
Thank you for the help! Can I get a second and a third to confirm the translation that the person who replied has offered?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug 2019 11:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Sep 2011 2:06 pm
Posts: 581
tiomluasocein wrote:
These are attempts at translating the cryptic Joyce. Very questionable.

As I am, as I am.

Mar é atá ionam, ionam.


I don't see how that works.

Mar atá mé, mar atá mé. Or: Mar atáim, mar atáim.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug 2019 10:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1464
Quote:
Mar atá mé, mar atá mé. Or: Mar atáim, mar atáim.

Yes :good:

Quote:
Gach rud nó rud ar bith.

That can work, but I think this has a nicer rhythm:

An t-iomlán, nó rud ar bith.
The whole thing, or nothing at all.

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 24 Aug 2019 12:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 11:36 pm
Posts: 318
Errigal wrote:
tiomluasocein wrote:
These are attempts at translating the cryptic Joyce. Very questionable.

As I am, as I am.

Mar é atá ionam, ionam.


I don't see how that works.

Mar atá mé, mar atá mé. Or: Mar atáim, mar atáim.


I understand this to mean "As I am (something)". "Mar atá mé" isn't a " Tá sé fear" problem?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 24 Aug 2019 3:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun 12 Nov 2017 2:55 pm
Posts: 109
Whether or not that's what it sounds like I don't know, but no, in simple grammatical terms, it isn't, you're using a and not is.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 25 Aug 2019 11:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 11:36 pm
Posts: 318
Esszet wrote:
Whether or not that's what it sounds like I don't know, but no, in simple grammatical terms, it isn't, you're using a and not is.


I was thinking in terms of grammar. But I can see where using "mar" would not need the copula.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 26 Aug 2019 2:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3511
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
tiomluasocein wrote:
Esszet wrote:
Whether or not that's what it sounds like I don't know, but no, in simple grammatical terms, it isn't, you're using a and not is.


I was thinking in terms of grammar. But I can see where using "mar" would not need the copula.


One way I describe the difference between the copula and "tá" to new learners is that "is" tells you what something or someone IS, and "tá" tells you what something or someone is LIKE (also what it's doing, its state or condition, etc.). Looked at that way, "tá" is the clear choice.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep 2019 12:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed 21 Aug 2019 12:11 pm
Posts: 3
Thank you all for the help!

Is it agreed that "Gach rud nó rud ar bith" is the literal translation of "all or not at all"? If I had that tattooed on my arm, would people on the street in Dublin see it and say "all or not at all'?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], silmeth and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group